Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

synthetic oil = better fuel economy?

Old 11-21-2007, 08:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wolverine_man
Where I can honestly say I did gain a mile or so per gallon was when I put back on my front air dam. I absolutely hate the way that things looks on my JK, but I lost 1-2 mpg when that thing was taken off.
I noticed this too and had to put my air dam back on!
Old 11-21-2007, 01:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

tgrt;
typical is 1-3mpg. I have changed to syn on every vehicle I've owned since mid 90's(and I have owned a few! 10 between me and the wife.). I even have a ricky road racer daughter who swears by it now. All I told her was that its better for the motor and oil changes can be done at 5k. She has come back and said it runs better and better gas mileage.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:53 PM
JK Freak

Your everyday driver with Full synthetic can easily go 10 k in between oil changes if not 12 k...

Heck in your owners manual under certain circumstances you can go 5 k or more between oil changes....might as well take full advantage of the benefits of Full synthetic and go the full 10 k between changes
Old 11-21-2007, 02:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SBlair
tgrt;
typical is 1-3mpg. I have changed to syn on every vehicle I've owned since mid 90's(and I have owned a few! 10 between me and the wife.). I even have a ricky road racer daughter who swears by it now. All I told her was that its better for the motor and oil changes can be done at 5k. She has come back and said it runs better and better gas mileage.
I'll throw the BS flag at that. Typical is 0 increase in MPG.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by IGOFSHN
I'll throw the BS flag at that. Typical is 0 increase in MPG.
So you said before.

So where does the benefit of the reduced friction go? Or - are you saying that synthetic produces no better lubrication than traditional oil? If friction is reduced, some efficency must result - it's simple physics. Maybe not 1-3 mpg, but certainly more than zero.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:02 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rick in Colorado
So you said before.

So where does the benefit of the reduced friction go? Or - are you saying that synthetic produces no better lubrication than traditional oil? If friction is reduced, some efficency must result - it's simple physics. Maybe not 1-3 mpg, but certainly more than zero.
Never said anything about that.

Just said there is no increase in MPG. I've used it and seen it used for over 20 years, never seen any difference in anything. performance or mpg.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:17 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Rick in Colorado
I think the benefit of the reduced friction goes to decreased wear on the engine. But I just cannot see how you'd get anything appreciable in mileage improvement. I will buy that the engine will run a little smoother -- perceptable or not.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:31 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by IGOFSHN
Never said anything about that.

Just said there is no increase in MPG. I've used it and seen it used for over 20 years, never seen any difference in anything. performance or mpg.

I guess for those of us who have built engines ( yes multiple ) and cars from the unibody up ( 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T S/E with 440 4-speed and 4.10 Dana 60 ( 1 of 142 ever to leave the factory with this combo)) who have seen BOTH Performance and Mileage increases.....And all the research and Development that Mobil Oil company did.....

Your are saying we are dreaming and our findings are bogus......

Not to mention all winning RACE Engines coincidently use Synthetic for any reason other than it makes POWER thru reduced friction

All based on YOUR word
Old 11-21-2007, 11:32 PM
JK Jedi

If I keep my foot out of my 2dr "X", w/ auto tranny, On the hwy, I now can get over 21 at times. Stock I got better than 19. When I installed the Airaid Intake Kit, throttle body riser, and Royal Purple synth, is when it jumped up to over 21.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:33 AM
JK Junkie

If synthetic oil actually increased fuel economy, wouldn't the "gubment" be requiring it in all cars? Less fuel burned means less emissions. The EPA would be all over it. I did a search on Mobile 1's site and no where on it deas it say that you will get better gas mileage with their oil. With that said, I AM using Mobile 1 5w-20 in mine. I think it will provide better protection over the life of the engine (not measureable from one oil change to the next).

Quick Reply: synthetic oil = better fuel economy?