Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Which syringe size and type for intermediate steering shaft grease project?

Old 07-11-2012, 11:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which syringe size and type for intermediate steering shaft grease project?

Just like the title says, tried to find answer to this in the long threads but got nothing.

What SIZE, TYPE, and purchase location for syringe to fill intermediate steering shaft with 5th wheel grease. specifically for those who used this method. Mine needs it finally.

thanks.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by itsajeepthing
Just like the title says, tried to find answer to this in the long threads but got nothing.

What SIZE, TYPE, and purchase location for syringe to fill intermediate steering shaft with 5th wheel grease. specifically for those who used this method. Mine needs it finally.

thanks.
I took the top clamp off and just used a small stainless steel hose clamp instead. Just pry it with a small flathead screwdriver and a small pliers.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:00 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alot of times the clunk will come back even after greasing. I'm on my 3rd or 4th shaft, can't remember. I would buy a new one, it would eventually clunk, I'd grease, last a few months and itd clunk again. This last shaft has lasted 2 yrs. I greased it before ever putting it on. Take the original clamp off, slid the boot down,use Lucas 5th wheel grease, ziptie where original clamp was after working the shaft in and out. This stuff is like glue, you'll feel it thick in up. Doing this to a new shaft is your best bet for longentivity against the clunk.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:04 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your bent on just a syringe, just get one from a grocery store that is used for injecting marinade.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used Mercury Mariner Quicksilver Boat Spline Grease (I got it on eBay) in my grease gun with a needle adapter I got at Advance Auto Parts. I saw it recommend somewhere online due to the steering shaft being similar to a boat spline.

I slid the needle adapter under the boot and clamp at the top (without removing or puncturing anything) and pumped the boot very full of grease, then squished it around. It was pretty easy to get the needle adapter under the boot and clamp. It bent a little, but it was pretty cheap.

It has been fine now for over a year. I'll probably do it again soon just to "renew" the grease (since I have so much left in the tube!).

Quick Reply: Which syringe size and type for intermediate steering shaft grease project?