Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

TCS alert - parking break problem?

Old 03-27-2024, 07:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question TCS alert - parking break problem?

New member, posting to this area since the Jeep is 100% stock and I'm not sure where else to put it. I've got a 2012 that has been running fine until lately. I took it up the driveway to get the mail (we live on 50 acres and the driveway is a half mile long) and since it's a slow drive forgot the parking break was on for a portion of it. Released the handle and picked up the mail then came back - no big deal, wasn't paying attention to much and it was a nice slow roll day out and back.

Next time the jeep gets out on the road though, suddenly the TCS system is complaining any time you step on the gas and cuts/limits your speed. After a few more slow speed attempts to figure out what's going on I have a couple questions. When letting off the throttle I heard a rubbing sound, and had read up on the TCS alert that it's caused by wheels moving at different speeds. This makes me think perhaps the parking break didn't actually disengage after releasing the handle. Is this a thing? How would I check?
Old 03-27-2024, 08:24 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,599 Posts

If you are thinking the parking brake didn't release, easiest thing would be jack up that rear axle, put in N, and turn rear tires by hand. If those e-brake shoes still have tension you're gonna feel it in the wheel turning. You don't have a scanner that can read ABS module codes like Jscan app on phone? These ABS sensors are a common failure. Might just be getting a bad reading from one. If your TCS light is on and it's limiting your acceleration I'd think there's a stored code that might point a direction to look.
Old 03-27-2024, 08:55 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
If you are thinking the parking brake didn't release, easiest thing would be jack up that rear axle, put in N, and turn rear tires by hand. If those e-brake shoes still have tension you're gonna feel it in the wheel turning. You don't have a scanner that can read ABS module codes like Jscan app on phone? These ABS sensors are a common failure. Might just be getting a bad reading from one. If your TCS light is on and it's limiting your acceleration I'd think there's a stored code that might point a direction to look.
Excellent, thanks for the tip. I'll give that a shot - if there is one that's resisting rotation, what do I do about it? The TCS light only comes on briefly when you try to accelerate more than walking speed pretty much. Once you stop or slow down it clears and returns to normal.
Old 03-27-2024, 11:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Take off the wheel and the rotor and then move the adjusting star in the correct direction to reduce contact between the brake shoes and the rotor. Put wheel back on and see if it now turns freely. Then see if your problem goes away.
Old 03-27-2024, 01:01 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
What would be considered 'acceptable' in terms of friction to wheel turning when the jeep is jacked up like this? I ask because with the rear end off the ground, in neutral, and parking brake disengaged, there is still a very notable metal/metal friction sound and the wheels don't rotate in any sense what I'd call 'freely'. If you give it a hard shove it will stop within a moment or two on both sides.
Old 03-28-2024, 04:48 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,599 Posts

I've gone back and read that original post AGAIN and realized you drove a bit with the parking brake one. That friction likely lead to some metal dust or particles being discarded. Those ABS sensors are pretty much a magnet reading the tone ring. Metal dust could have gunked up the sensor. I'd pull those rear sensors and see if you just need to wipe em off. That would be the easiest starting point now that I re-read the post.
Old 04-02-2024, 02:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd try to give the rear end a real good pressure wash. The wheels should spin freely, but you have to put some effort into it. They won't spin on their own.

Quick Reply: TCS alert - parking break problem?