Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Thinking of purchasing a JK

Old 02-25-2009, 09:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of purchasing a JK

Well im going to have to buy vehicle in the near future. Its between a truck which i kind of need, kind of dont need, its one of thes 50 50 things. If i dont go with a truck though it probably will be a JK. I found a couple 07 Rubicons for right around 20. Is this a good price? Also what kind of mileage are these JKs getting. I have a 97 TJ 4 banger that has to be floored all the time to get to speed so it would be nice to have a wrangler that gets a little better mileage even though its not that big of a concern for me. Is there anything wrong with the 07s since its the first production year of the new JK? How good is the auto tranny in these things? I would like stick but hate stick off road so i would much rather go with an auto tranny. Thank you
Old 02-25-2009, 10:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Go for the JK any JK over the truck. You can always pull a small trailer with the Jeep if you need to haul somthing.

The Jeep will open up more areas of fun than any truck can.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:33 AM
JK Newbie

yea, the reason i kind of need, kind of dont need a truck is for work purposes...., i work on a grain farm, and a landscape company and a truck would help out a lot but we will see what happens in the next month or so.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our next vehicle will most likely be a truck, just don't know which brand.
My XJ was bought new in 94 so it's getting up there in age. Traded the wifes 99 XJ on a 07 JK Unlimited, and she loves it much better than her XJ. The kids are grown now, and a truck is definetly an asset for me. Sure I could pull a small trailer, as was mentioned, however it's not the same as having a truck.
It's all about what your needs are. Now if Jeep would only bring out the Gladiator, but that's not going to happen.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeeperabe
Well im going to have to buy vehicle in the near future. Its between a truck which i kind of need, kind of dont need, its one of thes 50 50 things. If i dont go with a truck though it probably will be a JK. I found a couple 07 Rubicons for right around 20. Is this a good price? Also what kind of mileage are these JKs getting. I have a 97 TJ 4 banger that has to be floored all the time to get to speed so it would be nice to have a wrangler that gets a little better mileage even though its not that big of a concern for me. Is there anything wrong with the 07s since its the first production year of the new JK? How good is the auto tranny in these things? I would like stick but hate stick off road so i would much rather go with an auto tranny. Thank you
Hey There. mcc454 is so right. This site is the best place to find out EVERYTHING about a JK you would want to know. The members here are so helpful and give their advice so freely. I had a 97 TJ sport for awhile which I traded when I had my two kids. I missed the Jeep lifestyle most of the time since. I finally bought a 09 JK last December after two years of thinking about it. Defintely the best thing I ever did. The JK is so capable it will make your 4 cylinder TJ feel like a Ford Festiva! Lots of power! Gas milage is about 17 in town with 32"tires on 3.73 gears. not great but as a friend once told me "It's only money and life it short, enjoy it" As far as problems, check this site and also google "automotive recall". There are no recalls for the 09 JK I know of. Jeeps hold there value so there isn't much difference in price between an 07 and an 09. Beleive me Dealers want to sell a car right now, You can make some great deals on a New jeep. Hope it works out for you.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:39 AM
JK Freak

I went from a "98"F-150 supercab to a JK, been almost a year with no regret's. I didn't use the truck for, just trips to Home depot and towing 16' bass boat. I'll just say get a hard top then you can use roof racks for small loads of lumber fairly close to home. As for towing, mine weigh's around 2,500 lb. and it pulls as well as my V8 did.Much much more fun to drive!
Old 02-25-2009, 02:57 PM
JK Newbie

yea, i really like the interior on the new JK as its more comfortable as the TJ. Even though i like the bare bones feeling of the TJ in the cold weather and such it really isn't that comfortable. Is the JK 2door a little long then a TJ so is there a little more room in the back of the Jeep...for passenger leg room or trunk space. Also how quiet is the cab inside with the hardtop and hard doors. For one thing i will never have a jeep with out full doors and a hard top in the winter because it straight up stinks.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:35 PM
JK Freak

Pull the trigger on the JK. You'll be happy with it. I drove a 3/4 chev 4x4 for years and, of course there are advantages to a truck. But I don't miss it. The Jeep is more useable for all around needs. Just my opinion - other's may differ but they're fun to own. Spend some time crusing in this forum.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless you have a trailer buy the truck.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:13 PM
JK Newbie

well the truck isn't the most economical solution as insurance and such will be a lot more for a 3500 diesel truck....im not sure what to do...im kind of in a sticky situation, well have to see in the next to months how my job goes and if i will be looking for a different one or what...

Quick Reply: Thinking of purchasing a JK