Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

throttle body service, Major improvement in mileage and performance

Old 11-07-2008, 04:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throttle body service, Major improvement in mileage and performance

I just got my Rubi back from the dealer for a left cracked manifold, which they did under warranty. I have 34600 miles on it.
In service the tech told me to get the throttle body service, fuel injectors cleaned and plugs.
( BYW: the tech just bought a JK and it has the stall bug bad, and can't drive it. He's very upset with JEEP.)
I did all of this, plus new plug wires cause the old ones were fried from extreme heat.
( the extreme heat is from running hot tranny's and motors while rock crawling for the last 1.5 yrs.)

I know I could have done some of this myself, but my service dealer has been extremely good to me and I wanted to give some business back.

My throttle body had MUD inside of it, on the throttle blade and in the air passages!! It also had alot of carbon build up. The mud came in from one of the latches on the stock air filter being undone and causing a gap in the air filter box. I was lucky it could have toasted my motor if the mud and water would have traveled a little farther into the motor. I don't get that much MUD exposure out here in CA either.
BTW: The Throttle Body is supposed to be cleaned every 15000 miles.

I reset my gas mileage indicator, which used to hover around 11 MPG now it's at 15 MPG. I just hope it's not a fluke.

I do all of my own servicing on the JK, but I haven't done this type of stuff before. Knowing what I know now I should have been doing this.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Could replacing the cracked mainfold also have helped?
Old 11-07-2008, 05:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JamesJKB
Could replacing the cracked manifold also have helped?

Actually the manifold didn't come in as they thought and it will be installed next Tuesday. I think that will help too.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:25 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You say you noticed an improvement in performance as well? Better throttle response, or what?

I just ordered the 3M do it yourself throttle and fuel kit so Im waiting for that. What did the dealer charge you?
Old 11-07-2008, 06:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
You say you noticed an improvement in performance as well? Better throttle response, or what?

I just ordered the 3M do it yourself throttle and fuel kit so Im waiting for that. What did the dealer charge you?
They charged me $118.00. I know I could have saved $ doing what your doing.
Live and learn.
I performance part is better response, better idle. smoother engine.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

X2 I'm interested to hear about it as well.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:36 PM
JK Jedi Master

What exactly do you have to do to clean the throttle body? I have had it apart before, but did they just wipe it clean or brush the air intake or what?
Old 11-07-2008, 06:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Hellbound.
FYI I cleaned my throttle body last night. I used regular throttle body cleaner from Napa. I sprayed the living hell out of it and then mopped up what i could with a rag. I shot the stuff in behind the throttle plate as well. When I looked it with a trouble light everything looked really shiny! I couldn't believe how much shit was in there. Anyway i let it dry for about 10 min re-installed the air duct and fired it up. Had trouble starting it at first because of the cleaner I guess but now all is good. Seems to have improved. I also changed out my spark plugs to NGK iridiums. We'll see how it goes in the next few days.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:56 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Trail Bud
They charged me $118.00. I know I could have saved $ doing what your doing.
Live and learn.
I performance part is better response, better idle. smoother engine.
If that's 118 bucks for ALL of what you had done, you got a DEAL.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
If that's 118 bucks for ALL of what you had done, you got a DEAL.
Yea no kidding. But I think he means just the throttle body cleaning. A dealer will find a way to charge you $100 to put air in your tires!

Quick Reply: throttle body service, Major improvement in mileage and performance