Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tie Rod end play - steering clunk?

Old 05-28-2008, 05:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gear
I know exactly what you are talking about. Here is what I found. I believe it is the AC line running across the front cross member. On small bumps it would bounce up and create that sound similar to your tie rod bounce. Trust me, I think this is it. Go take a look. I simple added some double sided adhesive to the cross member with 2 more zip ties. The noise is gone. Here are two photographs looking forward towards the front bumper.

GEAR,

I gotta hand it to you, you were right. I zip tied the a/c line and the clunk has gone away. It's been cool here the last couple days, so I'm waiting for it to warm up, to see if the heat factor changes anything but, I think this may have been the culprit in my case too. Those of you that have added the 5th wheel grease but have had the clunk mysteriously reappear may want to check this a/c line also. Thanks for the tip!
Old 05-31-2008, 07:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gear
I know exactly what you are talking about. Here is what I found. I believe it is the AC line running across the front cross member. On small bumps it would bounce up and create that sound similar to your tie rod bounce. Trust me, I think this is it. Go take a look. I simple added some double sided adhesive to the cross member with 2 more zip ties. The noise is gone. Here are two photographs looking forward towards the front bumper.

This worked for me took about 2 mins this morning. Great find Gear!

Quick Reply: Tie Rod end play - steering clunk?