Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Tie Rod Replacing

Old 02-24-2014, 04:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tie Rod Replacing

upon replacing the tie rods im stuck on getting the passenger outer off. It seems to have some crimps on it keeping it in. What must i do in order to remove it to replace with the new one? Much help is appreciated
Old 02-25-2014, 01:14 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by dannyzee
upon replacing the tie rods im stuck on getting the passenger outer off. It seems to have some crimps on it keeping it in. What must i do in order to remove it to replace with the new one? Much help is appreciated
Hmm. I'm confused. There is only one tie rod. It has two ends, one on the passenger side and one on the driver side, each connected to the steering knuckle, so there's no "passenger outer". I don't remember any crimps. Basically, you use a set of tie rod pullers to work it off (pullers, not a pickle fork). Or, if you're replacing the ends, you can beat on the stud until it comes off (don't beat on it too hard if you're not replacing the ends, and definitely not recommended on the side of the drag link connected to the Pitman arm--you could damage the steering box). Perhaps you could provide a picture?
Old 02-26-2014, 06:30 AM
JK Newbie

I haven't attempted to disassemble the passenger side, I hear it is tough, but doable. A vise, long breaker bar, maybe a little heat, and possibly another person to help are what I have read on various forums. After scratching my head about what parts are what when I replaced mine (different stores call them by different names), I made up a little cheat sheet for future reference. The red lines are factory crimps that are keeping the outer TRE from easily being removed. Best bet is to do what I did and order the Raybestos assembly and keep the stock to take apart and use when that one needs replacing. Hope this helps.

Not sure why the image is so small, but click it and it will pop up a bigger version.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep Wrangler JK (07-10) Front End Part Numbers.png
Views:	1029
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	533635
Old 02-26-2014, 06:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

just replace the entire bar with an aftermarket....the stock tie rod is a piece of crap anyways.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:00 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Oh, doh me! He's rebuilding an OEM tie rod? No, just replace the whole thing, preferably with aftermarket.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dannyzee
It is one piece and does not come apart.

I replaced both ends along with the drag link with Moog components.
The Moog units have grease fittings (like REAL Jeeps used to come with) so if you pump some grease with every oil change, they should last you a long, long time.

Have 20,000 miles on the Moogs so far and am very happy.
If after you have replaced them and the ball joints (those *&^% ball joints wore out and accelerated wear on the tie rods), mark the adjustment screw, then loosen the locknut before snugging the adjustment screw ~1/4 turn and retighten the locknut. Do not tighten too much as you can make the steering box bind.

Been pulling a trailer 1200-1700 every 3rd weekend. Though the old girl has 100,000 miles, she drives like dream.

Quick Reply: Tie Rod Replacing