Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Tintend windows with the roof off

Old 07-18-2012, 08:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OCD much?
do it, it looks fine, hell on my 2 door i had tinted front windows and clear backs for about 2 months, now that looked weird
Old 01-09-2014, 12:16 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JeepTooner
OCD much?
do it, it looks fine, hell on my 2 door i had tinted front windows and clear backs for about 2 months, now that looked weird
thats what im gonna have my soft top came with clear windows
Old 01-09-2014, 01:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stoova
thats what im gonna have my soft top came with clear windows
I bought the tinted zip-in windows for my soft top. Looked badass.

To the OP - Yup, just tint them. I had the shop I used match the factory hardtop. They did a good job. Looks fine with the top off, too.

My only regret is not going just a little bit lighter on the doors. With sunglasses on, the the side windows are pretty dark!
Old 01-10-2014, 07:50 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jk_sea
I bought the tinted zip-in windows for my soft top. Looked badass.

To the OP - Yup, just tint them. I had the shop I used match the factory hardtop. They did a good job. Looks fine with the top off, too.

My only regret is not going just a little bit lighter on the doors. With sunglasses on, the the side windows are pretty dark!
where did you get the zip ins?
Old 01-10-2014, 08:36 AM
JK Junkie

Any top dealer will sell them- qtec, jeepparts, mopar, chrysler dealer, etc. I bought mine from the dealer since they gave me stupid "mopar bucks". It was $350 for the 3 tinted windows.

A note of caution- they've changed the size of the windows at least once, so be sure that the windows you order are for your top. Some people find it easier to buy a complete top so that you know everything is right. You can then recoup some money by selling your original top to someone who has destroyed theirs.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by karls
Any top dealer will sell them- qtec, jeepparts, mopar, chrysler dealer, etc. I bought mine from the dealer since they gave me stupid "mopar bucks". It was $350 for the 3 tinted windows.

A note of caution- they've changed the size of the windows at least once, so be sure that the windows you order are for your top. Some people find it easier to buy a complete top so that you know everything is right. You can then recoup some money by selling your original top to someone who has destroyed theirs.
Yes. Got mine from Quadratec, but I think they were a little cheaper back then.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:02 AM
JK Newbie

I think you'll be fine. Fom the pics posted, looks good.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vladimer
Hi guys,

I've been planning this for the last year and never can seem to get around to it as I think it would look potentially silly. All my past vehicles have had tinted windows so I find it weird not having my driver and passenger windows not tinted. My worry has always been that if I take my roof off and I keep my doors on, it might look silly with two random windows tinted and the windshield obviously not tinted. Does anyone have the front windows tinted with there roof off and happen to take a picture? Would love to see what it looks like!
There were posts on here about someone who had tinted their front window 35% (at least I think thats what he was using). From the outside looking in, it was black (was on an angle, on a sunny day). From the inside looking out, there was barely a tint. I'm tempted to do this when I replace my front window (2 massive rock chips that blew through the inner glass). Illegal, but then things are VERY lax up here. The DS and PS front windows I'd just do to match whatever the HT and rear windows are (10/15%?).
Old 01-11-2014, 05:19 AM
JK Junkie

I went 20% (specs out at 12%) and it matches pretty well. Obviously on sunnier days it looks lighter and darker days it looks darker. Same tint, just different days.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1389449830302.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	522768

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1389449868827.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	522769

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1389449918237.jpg