Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Tips for getting the top up quicker??

Old 01-20-2014, 09:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

7Kings step by step seems to be the way I do it (or did w/the stock top) on my 2Dr. If you leave the back window attached, and only unzip the sides when taking it up/down it would speed up the process a bit more because that's one less window panel to reattach. Aside from that - take it on/off the same way every time. Don't rush it - slow is steady, steady is smooth, and smooth is fast; you will get faster.

A sunrider (either stock or aftermarket) will allow you to have some fun in the sun and can get you the top back on in a couple seconds. As long as the doors are on, if your wife rolls up the window, she stays dry while you go put the windows back on in the rain - problem (hers at least) solved.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I open the tailgate, stand on the bumper, flip the whole mess up, click in the front latches, push down on the Sunrider tabs to lock them, then slide the rear tabs into place.
I don't take out my rear window, I roll it up. The sides go in easy especially if you put pull cords on the zippers.
I put my top down a lot, so I got pretty good at it.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:15 AM
JK Freak

Location: Independence and Lexington, KY (depends on the time of year)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Open the tailgate
2. Pull out a poncho
3. Put on wife
4. Take your time putting up the top.

Sorry, I had to be a smart aleck for a second there. I always have issues with the rear window, so instead of removing it, I roll it up and put it in those nice elastic straps that come with the top, and it stays out of the way when I put the top down and it saves me a lot of time when putting it back up. I also sit on the spare when I first flip the top forward, but if you're taller than 5'7", I'd say you could just stand on your rear bumper. If you have side steps or rock rails, utilize those. Otherwise, it's really chocked up to practice. My fastest time is 2:54. I felt like I ran a mile and a half when I was done :hithead:
Old 01-22-2014, 07:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gforce!
1. Open the tailgate
2. Pull out a poncho
3. Put on wife
4. Take your time putting up the top.

Sorry, I had to be a smart aleck for a second there. I always have issues with the rear window, so instead of removing it, I roll it up and put it in those nice elastic straps that come with the top, and it stays out of the way when I put the top down and it saves me a lot of time when putting it back up. I also sit on the spare when I first flip the top forward, but if you're taller than 5'7", I'd say you could just stand on your rear bumper. If you have side steps or rock rails, utilize those. Otherwise, it's really chocked up to practice. My fastest time is 2:54. I felt like I ran a mile and a half when I was done :hithead:
LOL - that's funny right there!

I'm a little taller (6'3") and can do everything from the ground without stepping up on anything.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:19 AM
JK Freak

Location: Independence and Lexington, KY (depends on the time of year)

Originally Posted by 7kings
LOL - that's funny right there!

I'm a little taller (6'3") and can do everything from the ground without stepping up on anything.
Putting the top up/washing the top were my primary reasons for buying side steps…haha oh well! We can't all be tall! At least I have more usable legroom
Old 01-23-2014, 01:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gforce!
Putting the top up/washing the top were my primary reasons for buying side steps…haha oh well! We can't all be tall! At least I have more usable legroom
HAHAHA - nice!
Old 01-23-2014, 08:01 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by FDHog
I open the tailgate, stand on the bumper, flip the whole mess up, click in the front latches, push down on the Sunrider tabs to lock them, then slide the rear tabs into place.
I don't take out my rear window, I roll it up. The sides go in easy especially if you put pull cords on the zippers.
I just figured out my problem, before I was married I used to have the top on my TJ down pretty often!

just eyed to use some of these tips like just rolling up rear window and the adding onto zipper, that is a great one I had t thought of, but I have a really nice tent that has that...

thanks for the tips, I also bought a spider shade that's just sitting here waiting for spring, but it's supposed to be -14 tonight!

matthew
Old 03-22-2014, 09:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FDHog
I've thought about using longer pull cords too because the zippers are impossible.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

As with anything, you get better the more you do it. It took me about 20 minutes to figure out how to take the top off the first time. I'm 5'6" so I pull the top up from inside and snap it all in. Tuck in all sail panels and zip up windows. My zippers get stuck a lot so I'm going to put some pull cords on mine like FDHog has done. Should be able to do it in less than 5 minutes.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:30 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the summer months, I put the top up and down daily. We have critters that I don't want in at night. Takes less than 10 minutes up or down. Not difficult at all. I think we (people in general) just want everything easier. Funny. Nobody complains about the 12-15 "lifts" it takes to drink a beer........

Quick Reply: Tips for getting the top up quicker??