Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Tips for getting the top up quicker??

Old 03-22-2014, 06:45 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
In the summer months, I put the top up and down daily. We have critters that I don't want in at night. Takes less than 10 minutes up or down. Not difficult at all. I think we (people in general) just want everything easier. Funny. Nobody complains about the 12-15 "lifts" it takes to drink a beer........
Its not about the top, it's about the windows, more specifically it's about getting the windows in fast enough to make my wife happy about running with the top down much more often...

I think the Spydershade will help a lot

matthew
Old 03-23-2014, 04:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of Practice. I have a 2 door so it's easier. I like to roll my back window down and leave the bar in. Last summer I timed myself from having everything off and in the garage. (But the top) Doors, surrounds, windows were all off. Took me 8 minutes to put everything back.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:31 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
Its not about the top, it's about the windows, more specifically it's about getting the windows in fast enough to make my wife happy about running with the top down much more often... I think the Spydershade will help a lot matthew
my reference was for the whole kabob. Top, windows zipped, buttoned up, etc. Practice.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:32 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Johngordon
Lots of Practice. I have a 2 door so it's easier. I like to roll my back window down and leave the bar in. Last summer I timed myself from having everything off and in the garage. (But the top) Doors, surrounds, windows were all off. Took me 8 minutes to put everything back.
yep. Like I said, less than 10 on a 4 door. Rather easy actaully. Probably took 20 or so the first few rounds, until I figured out a smooth process.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:07 PM
JK Junkie

Man i quarter ass it terribly.

After about mid april i just leave the back window out until freaking halloween.

Zip up the sides, put on the half doors, pop header clips.

Granted i just bought a new top. Might not be as easy this year as previous years.

It gets so loose it just goes up no problem. I might have to time myself putting the new top up in a month or so.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:28 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
Its not about the top, it's about the windows, more specifically it's about getting the windows in fast enough to make my wife happy about running with the top down much more often... I think the Spydershade will help a lot matthew

My wife's "top-down threshold" is about 10 degrees warmer than mine, so I have a similar challenge. I'm in CT, so as soon as it's sunny with temps in the mid 50's, I'll start putting the top down.

A couple little things I do with the windows that make a difference - First, I put soap on the zippers, making it easier to pull. If the zippers are stiff, it's easier to misalign the zipper teeth during the first few inches. When you misalign, you need to backup the zipper and start over. Getting it right the first time, saves time. Also, zipper pulls made a big difference on the rear window. Easier on the knuckles too. Lastly, if you have a garage, I hang the windows flat on a wall right next to the Jeep. I screwed big binder clips to blocks of wood on the wall. The windows don't get scratched, and they're easy to grab. To some people this may sound like "big deal, you save 30 seconds" but all totaled up it's probably 2 min. The difference between having my wife wait 3 minutes and 5 minutes to use the Jeep is a big deal.

BTW - we love our Spiderwebshade on our 2dr. My wife and kids have skin that burns even if their wearing spf 70. Last summer, we were on the beach on Cape Cod and in the 90s. Riding around it kept the sun bearable to them, the interior cool, and when the Jeep was parked the seats didn't get ripping hot. Something they don't tell you - it adds useful storage on trips. Since it can stay on with the top up, it created a little more space above the rear seats. On our road-trip to the Cape, we put a couple of un-assembled kites up there. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum. Pleaze excuse auto-correct erors.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:33 PM
JK Newbie

Sounds like you have a wife problem, not a top problem All kidding aside. I work from top to bottom, front to back. After I get that top on a situated, I get the windows in (but not fully zipped) and work the back window on first. After it's zipped in, the side windows are cake. Whole process takes like 4-5 minutes solo.

Quick Reply: Tips for getting the top up quicker??