Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Tire advice....please...

Old 09-02-2012, 05:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire advice....please...

I know this is a stupid question that has probably been answered before, buuut I need some advice..
The tires on my stock JK are just about gone, they were the stock goodyears that came with it and I need a new set.
My question is what do I get...?
It is a "grocery getter" that is mostly driven on the street, with some very mild offloading on occasion. I'd like something with an aggressive looking tread pattern (something like the stock rubi tires, or maxxis buckshots). I'm just not sure what type of tire I should be looking at for my intended purpose. I would like to stay around the same size tire to my stock ones (a little bigger wouldn't be a bad thing ). Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks,
Nick
Old 09-02-2012, 05:48 PM
JK Freak

standard answer...goodyear duratracs. keep them rotated and you'll get 50,000 miles out of them.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just put on a set of Discoverer ATP's on my 18" rims. I got 265X70X18, about 32.5" tires. No rubbing, look good and Made In The USA. They ride smooth and not noisy.

Cooper Discoverer ATP tires - Reviews, ratings and specs in the Detroit Area - Discount Tire/America's Tire
Old 09-02-2012, 07:46 PM
JK Freak

Goodyear Duratracs if you can find them.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 8000ft
standard answer...goodyear duratracs. keep them rotated and you'll get 50,000 miles out of them.
This is what I plan on doing. The closest size to stock is 265/70-17, but some say 285's will fit with some rubbing.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:07 AM
JK Newbie

Ok, I'm doing some research for the duratracs now. No one likes the toyo open country, or nitto trail grapplers? I only ask because I know those are fairly nice tires, I just don't know how they will hold up on the street.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the forum .I have the toyo mt with 54k on them and a lot of tred left .I drive 80 miles a day.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:12 AM
JK Newbie

Have you looked into the Nitto Terra Grapplers? I have them on my wifes trick and the JEEP. (Was looking at wheels and figured I would get tires that would also fit the truck...just to make sure some were onhand for when she needs a replacement ) I will be upgrading to the Nitto Trail Grapplers in 35 when she needs new tires. About got her talked in to replacing hers before winter arrives

Anyways, this is the 3rd set of Terras that we have had and absolutely love them. Mild road noise, good wear, never an issue on the road (been every where from Seattle to San Antonio and now Delaware) and work great off the beaten path.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:20 AM
JK Junkie

If it were me, I buy a set of treadwhright's. I've got friends who run these and they are damn durable tires and great on and off-road. For the price, you can't beat them. I also watched a recent 4x4 show that took these tires out for review at MOAB (on a jeep). They got AWESOME reviews. Like I already said, I wheel with guys who run them and the tires are very capable.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:22 AM
JK Junkie

Buy a set of Rubi takeoffs for cheap on the forum here. They are on there all the time and will easily handle your off roading.

Quick Reply: Tire advice....please...