Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Tire Size that Stock Bumper Can Handle

Old 11-10-2011, 01:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Size that Stock Bumper Can Handle

I want to get bigger tires but not a size that I'm going to have to modify my stock jeep. So I'm looking at 31's or 32's. Was wondering if this tire size is going to be too big for my stock bumper or if I need to buy a tire carrier?

Old 11-10-2011, 01:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BADBOY-RUBICON
I want to get bigger tires but not a size that I'm going to have to modify my stock jeep. So I'm looking at 31's or 32's. Was wondering if this tire size is going to be too big for my stock bumper or if I need to buy a tire carrier?

31 or 32 should be fine as they are stock sizes. 33's will carry ok. 35's will need the middle brakelight lifted up and maybe too heavy and cause you tailgate to sag after a while.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks! Glad to know!
Old 11-10-2011, 01:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BADBOY-RUBICON
Thanks! Glad to know!
I wonder if you really meant 32's as that is what your Jeep already has on it if it a Rubicon. Did you want to ask about wider tires or taller tires? And do you mean they will fit on the spare tire carrier or wondering if they will rub on the front bumper? I think most the fitment problems are either against the pinch seam just in front of the rear tires or in the fenderwell when you "flex" the suspension. In extreme situations, the front tire might be forced forward and hit the bumper -hence stubby bumpers - but most of us will never see that situation. You can buy an offset plate to go on your tire carrier if you have a bigger tire so it stays above the cutout in the back bumper, but again, the weight of the tire is the main concern and why some people get bumper mounted spare tire carriers.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

You're correct. A bigger size would be 32's since I already have 31's. I would like to go bigger without modifying or having rubbing problems. So if that's going to happen I'll hold off on getting bigger tires.

Quick Reply: Tire Size that Stock Bumper Can Handle