Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Top Cleaner/Conditioner/Protectant

Old 02-14-2013, 05:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Top Cleaner/Conditioner/Protectant

This is more of a review than anything else. I tried the Surf City Garage brand "Top End" convertible top cleaner/conditioner/protectant on my soft top last weekend. It's a spray-on/wipe-off product. It's at Wal-Mart for pretty cheap (under $10 a bottle).

Here's the breakdown:
- Directions say to work product in with a soft or medium brush and wipe dry. However, a video on the their website shows employees working the product in with just a rag. Bottom line: it works just fine if you just use a rag; use a brush for stains.
- The bottle is big enough; it'll probably last a good long while.
- It did an okay job of cleaning. Really, it didn't seem to do any better of a job cleaning than high-quality soap and water, but it gets the job done.
- It did a very good job of conditioning. My top has been suffering through the cold, snow, ice and salt of a northern Ohio winter. The winter left my top kinda' dried-out and light colored. The product seemed to "soften" my top, make it feel more dense/heavy and brought it back to a factory black.
- The product states that it adds UV protection. I can't really review that; I've only had it on for a week. Time will tell.
- The product states that its effects are long lasting. Again, time will tell.
- Out of curiosity, I tried the product on my sun-faded fenders and bumpers. It made them a bit shiny, but did nothing to help out the fading. That's fine, considering the product is not advertised as restorative.

Has anyone else used this product?
Old 04-01-2013, 05:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm standing in wal mart right and I was holding this exact stuff in my hand. In gonna give it a whirl and see. Just picked up an 09 JK. Top is in good condition and I want to keep it that way. I guess for $8.97 it's worth a shot. I'll post my results.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:32 PM
JK Freak

I've been meaning to ask what everyone is using on their tops. Thanks for reading my mind! ;-)
Old 04-02-2013, 01:25 PM
JK Newbie

303 Aerospace protectant…

It has been talked about a few times on the forum and gets fantastic reviews!

I have been using it for years and its fantastic and has a lot more uses around the vehicle than just the top.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:37 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I cant get the mud spots off of mine..... I tried the pressure washer at the DIY car washes, the foaming brush, The Pressure Soap, Hand scrubbing it with a sponge... I just cant get the spots off of my top clean.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	InTheDeep.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	441798   Click image for larger version

Name:	MudbathPoser.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	441800  
Old 04-02-2013, 04:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
I cant get the mud spots off of mine..... I tried the pressure washer at the DIY car washes, the foaming brush, The Pressure Soap, Hand scrubbing it with a sponge... I just cant get the spots off of my top clean.
i feel your pain , mine was horrible , tried everything , then lo and behold , guess what did better than anything else ive tried ? ....... armor all cleaning wipes ! thats right , didnt get every bit of stains out , but damn near , its respectable now at least .

Quick Reply: Top Cleaner/Conditioner/Protectant