Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Total Noob Soft Top Question. Am I Missing Any Parts??

Old 04-23-2015, 06:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Total Noob Soft Top Question. Am I Missing Any Parts??

So I've searched and have watched a bunch of videos regarding the soft top. But my question is a little unique... I purchased my 2008 JKU preowned and it's my first Jeep Wrangler. It came with the hardtop on it but has the soft top rolled up in the trunk, mounted to the rollbar. I'm selling the soft top because I don't park in the nicest neighborhoods for work so I'll be leaving the hardtop on. It looks like the soft top has never been unwrapped before - there's still tape and a label on it (see pics below). As I'm looking at it and after watching instructional videos on the soft top, I'm starting to wonder if I'm missing some parts to it. I didn't want to unwrap it because the hard top is still on it which may not give me too much room to view what's rolled up inside. Also, the label still on it adds to the "newness" of the top for selling purposes (never been used). I've learned there are separate pieces such as the rear and side windows and brackets. Is everything rolled up in here and it's ready to sell? If not, what am I missing? Any input appreciated. Thank you.

image hosting over 10mb

imgurl
Old 04-23-2015, 07:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Bump for a brother Jeeper
Old 04-23-2015, 07:18 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm the guy that does the jeep videos for the soft tops

You were missing another box or two actually one box has the windows the rear window and the side windows and then the other box has the window channels that mounts to the rollbar areas along with the mounting hardware
Old 04-23-2015, 07:20 PM
DJ1
Former Member

2 boxes. 1 with windows. The other with the door surrounds. If you don't have those then it's not complete...

Attachment 607852
Old 04-23-2015, 07:41 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Chadc880
I'm the guy that does the jeep videos for the soft tops

You were missing another box or two actually one box has the windows the rear window and the side windows and then the other box has the window channels that mounts to the rollbar areas along with the mounting hardware
Originally Posted by DJ1
2 boxes. 1 with windows. The other with the door surrounds. If you don't have those then it's not complete...

That's what I was afraid of :( So what I have rolled up there is pretty much useless without the door surrounds? A soft top can still be used without the windows but without the window surrounds, it's useless?
Old 04-23-2015, 08:06 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by P Rock
That's what I was afraid of :( So what I have rolled up there is pretty much useless without the door surrounds? A soft top can still be used without the windows but without the window surrounds, it's useless?
The front surrounds and I think it's the same case for the 4-doors have the spring latches to lock the sun-rider top in place. A potential buyer could still buy the top from you as-is but you're not going to get anywhere near the price you'd originally want.

Without the door surrounds and the windows, the buyer is pretty much looking at a fancy bikini/safari top which usually only cost $90-$200 as a broad guesstimate.

Door surrounds for a 2 door are already in the $200-$240 range. For a 4 door, it's an additional 2 plastic bars and I don't know off the top of my head how much those go for.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:15 PM
DJ1
Former Member

You're looking at $300 (Bestop surround kit) or ~ $500 OEM Mopar. That's just for the surrounds alone. Windows I'm sure can also be found on Quadratec or even Craigslist....

Search Results - Quadratec

So tops on Craigslist have been going for $400-$700. I bought a brand new spring loaded premium top with hardware for $600 for a 2-door if that gives you some kind of reference point...
Old 04-23-2015, 08:34 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DJ1
You're looking at $300 (Bestop surround kit) or ~ $500 OEM Mopar. That's just for the surrounds alone. Windows I'm sure can also be found on Quadratec or even Craigslist....

Search Results - Quadratec

So tops on Craigslist have been going for $400-$700. I bought a brand new spring loaded premium top with hardware for $600 for a 2-door if that gives you some kind of reference point...
Yikes... Might be better off keeping it and possibly adding the other parts later down the road. Door surrounds and windows are another $600 expense for the buyer (or for myself)... Which is a going price for a complete used set.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:47 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Yikes... Might be better off keeping it and possibly adding the other parts later down the road. Door surrounds and windows are another $600 expense for the buyer (or for myself)... Which is a going price for a complete used set.
Yup. Unless you can go back to where you bought the Jeep and see if they actually forgot to give you the other 2 boxes / hardware.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Dude I think I have a tailgate bar & door surrounds laying around somewhere you can have if you'll pay the shipping

Quick Reply: Total Noob Soft Top Question. Am I Missing Any Parts??