Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tow Hitch Install

Old 08-07-2013, 07:00 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow Hitch Install

I have a 2010 JKU Sport and it didnt come with a tow hitch on it, so I found a guy on CL that upgraded his back bumper and removed his stock tow hitch receiver. I got his receiver for only $30 but the bolts that bolted it in are being used on his upgraded bumper. I have tried to find bolts that will fit but the longest I can find anywhere are 80mm when I need 110mm. BoltDepot goes from 100mm-120mm and I dont want the extra not bolting in securely. I have been told that the bolts should be already there but all I can see are the holes that line up for the hitch with no bolts. Can anyone help me find the right sized bolts so I can get my hitch bolted on? Any and all comments are welcome.
Thanks in advance.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

I can tell you that the bolts should come with the hitch. They are not already there, just the holes. As far as actual size, try calling a dealer. I bought my receiver used, but honestly didn't pay attention to bolt size.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:07 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The difference between 110mm and 120mm is less than half an inch. That should be fine man
Old 08-07-2013, 07:10 AM
JK Newbie

Well I bought the hitch off a guy on craigslist, thought I was getting a great deal on it for $30 but now its just becoming a hassle trying to find the right bolts to get the sucker bolted on. The size Im lookin for is M12-1.50"x110mm but no where I look has them. I even tried the manufacturer and they say they dont just sell the bolts but they can sell me a whole new hitch that will come with the bolts! Oh gee thanks!
Old 08-07-2013, 07:12 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kh202
The difference between 110mm and 120mm is less than half an inch. That should be fine man
My only thing in that that 1/2 in is going to loosen over time and one day I hitch up and it just drops on me! But if I cant get anything else I might just have to try that. Thanks for the help and advice.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:16 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by MO_JeepNewbie
My only thing in that that 1/2 in is going to loosen over time and one day I hitch up and it just drops on me! But if I cant get anything else I might just have to try that. Thanks for the help and advice.
I'm not following. If you torque down the nut properly, it doesn't matter if there's a half inch or a foot of extra thread sticking out
Old 08-07-2013, 07:23 AM
JK Newbie

Well I bought the hitch off a guy on craigslist, thought I was getting a great deal on it for $30 but now its just becoming a hassle trying to find the right bolts to get the sucker bolted on. The size Im lookin for is M12-1.50"x110mm but no where I look has them. I even tried the manufacturer and they say they dont just sell the bolts but they can sell me a whole new hitch that will come with the bolts! Oh gee thanks!
Just put them in, torque them down, and cut the extra off. Done!
Old 08-07-2013, 07:28 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by xj-boonie

Just put them in, torque them down, and cut the extra off. Done!
Haha not even needed
Old 08-07-2013, 07:32 AM
JK Newbie

Did you try McMaster-Carr, looks like they may have what your looking for.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:35 AM
JK Jedi

Fastenal prolly has them instock

Quick Reply: Tow Hitch Install