Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

tow hitch receiver and rear tow hook...

Old 05-25-2013, 07:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tow hitch receiver and rear tow hook...

Hello. I've got a 2013 JK 2 door w/o tow hitch. Pretty much bone stock right now. Purchased a tow hitch receiver and planning to install. Instructions say that rear tow hitch must be removed. Is it possible to leave the rear tow hook and install the hitch receiver? It doesn't seem to be in the way of the tow hitch receiver. Thanks for any responses.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:17 AM
JK Newbie

Yes you can have a rear factory tow hook & add a tow hitch receiver.

Never Forget 343
PTB-EGH
Old 05-25-2013, 01:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Even if you find you need to remove the tow hook for whatever reason (bear in mind, my JK hasn't been delivered yet), I know there are several tow hooks available that are made to fit into a 2" receiver tube, or you could always manufacture one if really need be. In fact, you could make it bigger, better, stronger... more "jeep-ier" even!

Also, I'm peeping in on your thread because I ordered my 2-dr JK without the tow package as well and intend to purchase an aftermarket bumper/receiver kit.

Was the wiring already present for you when you began your install? Or, did you have to tap into the brake lighting?

-Luke
Old 05-25-2013, 01:32 PM
JK Newbie

Default Tow hook

It may ask you to remove the hook so you don't damage/puncture your trailer in tight turns or while backing in tight turns with that hook. As others have suggested there are hooks and D- rings that could go in your receiver hitch. Hope this might help you out.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered my JK without factory hitch. I bought a Rugged Ridge one off EBay for around 80 bucks with free shipping. It came with the wiring harness that even had the clips already attached to it and spaced to line up in the factory holes on the Jeep. All you do is remove the drivers side rear brake light and it is plug and play, very easy.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The earlier jks in 07, 08 and maybe 09 had tow hooks in the center using the tow hitch bolts. So, the instructions you have are probably referring to that. No need to remove hook on a newer jk.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:55 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JerseyMark
The earlier jks in 07, 08 and maybe 09 had tow hooks in the center using the tow hitch bolts. So, the instructions you have are probably referring to that. No need to remove hook on a newer jk.
What he said. Newer JKs are on the left, no reason to remove.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JerseyMark
Only on the '07 and '08s. My '09 has recovery hook on driver side. I try to only use the receiver tow hitch.

Sent from some string and a few tin cans.

Quick Reply: tow hitch receiver and rear tow hook...