Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tow JK on a dolly?

Old 12-18-2013, 12:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My rear ds should be coming out potentially Friday, the front is out tonight.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Old 12-18-2013, 08:46 PM
JK Junkie

So I've looked further into this and it appears that the point behind putting it in P or 5th with the tcase in neutral is to keep fluid circulating with the rear ds still connected (and front wheels up). I'll attach a screenshot of one of the references below.

Putting the front on a dolly and removing the rear driveshaft makes it safe to tow since there is ZERO interaction in the trans and tcase- they're just sitting there. The rear tires spinning keeps the diff cool by sloshing fluid around.

Long story short- pull the driveshaft for the easiest tow on a dolly but alternatively you can put the tcase in N and select P or 5th for the trans with the rear ds connected.

***If you don't agree or have more to add on the subject, please do. I'll e pulling my rear ds soon to see what spins and see if I can hear anything moving in the trans with both trans and case in N.***

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1387431900036.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	517793  
Old 12-18-2013, 09:05 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by karls
So I've looked further into this and it appears that the point behind putting it in P or 5th with the tcase in neutral is to keep fluid circulating with the rear ds still connected (and front wheels up). I'll attach a screenshot of one of the references below.

Putting the front on a dolly and removing the rear driveshaft makes it safe to tow since there is ZERO interaction in the trans and tcase- they're just sitting there. The rear tires spinning keeps the diff cool by sloshing fluid around.

Long story short- pull the driveshaft for the easiest tow on a dolly but alternatively you can put the tcase in N and select P or 5th for the trans with the rear ds connected.

***If you don't agree or have more to add on the subject, please do. I'll e pulling my rear ds soon to see what spins and see if I can hear anything moving in the trans with both trans and case in N.***

"but alternatively you can put the tcase in N and select P or 5th for the trans with the rear ds connected."
This goes against the Owner's Manual, unless you mean with all 4 down.
My question remains. Why does Jeep advise against towing on a dolly?
The only difference between towing on a dolly and towing 4 down is the front drive shaft doesn't spin when on a dolly. Why do they think that is bad?

People drive all the time with the front drive shaft removed, or, for those with the locking hubs, with the front hubs disconnected, with no apparent damage to the t-case.
In these cases, does the front output still spin from some internal t-case friction?

Last edited by ronjenx; 12-18-2013 at 09:07 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:23 PM
JK Junkie

It was my understanding that the P/5th is for any tow with the rear connected to keep the case and trans lubed, but I've not pulled one apart to see how it works.

I've got my front ds out now and I drove it around with a specific point on the flange marked and it has not moved. So in essence, I am simulating a tow dolly situation as I drive and the front output does not spin (as you suggested earlier).

I'm still tinkering and searching to see what I can come up with.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:23 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by karls

I've got my front ds out now and I drove it around with a specific point on the flange marked and it has not moved. So in essence, I am simulating a tow dolly situation as I drive and the front output does not spin (as you suggested earlier).

OK. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Tow JK on a dolly?