Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

towing causing ABS to freak out?

Old 12-22-2011, 03:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default towing causing ABS to freak out?

Yesterday I was moving my apartment. I was pulling my M416 trailer which was loaded with a queen size mattress box spring and wood bed frame. Plus I had the jeep its self loaded up with crap. Definitely a heavy load but it was not struggling on the highway. A few times on while on the highway the ABS system kicked on for about a minuet each time until about the last 10 min of my trip it came on and stayed on.

Steering is centered, wheels were not slipping (roads were wet but still I never felt them slip) and I was cruising at 65-70 mph except for a few time where I got up to 80 to pass.

I haven’t crawled under yet to check wires but it was fine on the way down to my apartment so something about all the extra weight is what has me leaning in the direction of the heavy load causing this. But my question is why?
Old 12-22-2011, 06:34 AM
JK Freak

If that trailer was pull the jeep side to side, even slightly it could cause issues? Do you have the tow package with sway control? I have wondered if the sway control would show on the dash with the esp.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Several issues.
1) BFG KM2 is not a rain tire - look at the tread. Unless you've had them siped, they aren't the best in the rain.
2) Speed - 80 MPH is a bit much for the conditions
3) Trailer - when pulling a trailer, even under the best of conditions, you should limit your speed - no matter how small the trailer, the tail will try to wag the dog to some extent

So, pulling a trailer on wet roads at high speed with tires not rated for wet pavement. The computer disapproved and turned on traction control / safety features.

Quick Reply: towing causing ABS to freak out?