Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Traction Control

Old 01-13-2017, 06:56 AM
rek
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traction Control

2013 JK-automatic
traction control does not shut off, even when in 4-wheel low.
when climbing a dirt hill yesterday, i couldn't even go up it, i could have the gas pedal on the floor and it wouldn't even rev up.
always worked, switch on dash has no effect.
anyone had the problem, Thanks
Old 01-13-2017, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by rek
2013 JK-automatic
traction control does not shut off, even when in 4-wheel low.
when climbing a dirt hill yesterday, i couldn't even go up it, i could have the gas pedal on the floor and it wouldn't even rev up.
always worked, switch on dash has no effect.
anyone had the problem, Thanks
Strange, take a look at post #12 of this thread, perhaps it'll help.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/memb...atures-339512/

That said, the other issue is that your vehicle won't let you over-rev the engine, so not revving up with the accelerator to the floor is expected.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:09 PM
JK Newbie

If you're in 4LO, traction and stability control is automatically disabled (button does nothing in 4LO). Lights on the dashboard should be lit up indicating this, and you should see "ESCOFF" on the LCD display.

The electronic limited slip, brake-locking (BLD), differential behavior is still enabled even in 4LO, so it's possible to experience reduced power if one tire has no traction and the brake is being applied to that side to transfer power to the tire with traction. This has always been fairly noticeable to me when it kicks in because it's not perfectly smooth, so you should know if this is happening.

Originally Posted by jedg
That said, the other issue is that your vehicle won't let you over-rev the engine, so not revving up with the accelerator to the floor is expected.
I believe the rev limiter in park/neutral on the automatic is at 4000 rpm. Otherwise, the rev limiter is right around 6400-6500 RPM. If in gear with the automatic transmission at low speed/stopped, then there's also the torque converter stall speed. I think that's somewhere around 2400 RPM?

I suppose it's possible that if your tires are too big for your axle ratio, and your jeep is heavy, and you're trying to drive up a steep hill, you may simply not have enough power to accelerate and get the RPMs up higher? In this situation, engine speed would be limited by the torque converter stalling.

What size tires? What gear ratio? Do you have lots of heavy armor/bumpers? Do any lights come on, flash, or ding, on the dashboard when you have this problem? Any problems accelerating full throttle through the entire RPM range on the street?

Last edited by UselessPickles; 01-13-2017 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:16 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jedg
Strange, take a look at post #12 of this thread, perhaps it'll help.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/memb...atures-339512/
For those of us that are lazy, here's the relevant info:

NOTE: This is not 100% correct for the 2013 Wrangler. The "hokey pokey"/"steering wheel dance" method for completely disabling traction/stability control only works on older JKs (I think prior to 2011?). I think the rest of that chart is correct, or close enough.

Quick Reply: Traction Control