Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Trade in when buying new tires

Old 03-18-2009, 01:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trade in when buying new tires

Does anybody know if there are any tire retailers (stores) that offer anything for a trade in when buying new tires. My stock tires 225/75/16 only have about 400 miles on them and I don't really feel like giving them away or going the ebay route to sell them.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:16 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mrjk
Does anybody know if there are any tire retailers (stores) that offer anything for a trade in when buying new tires. My stock tires 225/75/16 only have about 400 miles on them and I don't really feel like giving them away or going the ebay route to sell them.
You won't find a store that will give you much. You need to figure.....400 miles or not, they are still USED tires, and have to be sold accordingly. So, with that discounted price in mind, you can imagine the tire store isn't gonna go outta their way to make you a stellar offer. Especially since most are upgrading FROM that size to begin with. Those tires will likely sit on a shelf for a long time. Your best bet is to sell them privately. I still wouldn't expect much.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:43 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
You won't find a store that will give you much. You need to figure.....400 miles or not, they are still USED tires, and have to be sold accordingly. So, with that discounted price in mind, you can imagine the tire store isn't gonna go outta their way to make you a stellar offer. Especially since most are upgrading FROM that size to begin with. Those tires will likely sit on a shelf for a long time. Your best bet is to sell them privately. I still wouldn't expect much.

X2, won't get much for them through a tire retailer.

To the OP, however if you target them for another vehicle through Craigslist or something you might find a buyer and make it more worthwhile. For example, the 225/75/R16 is the stock size for the Jeep Liberty (up to 2007 at least) and there are a ton of those out there, most not modified. Advertise them for that.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sold mine for $100. I couldn't give the rims away, nobody needs them.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

I got $200 for mine with rims. They had about 200 miles on them. Dismount and stick on CL.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

I got $275 for my 5 tires with 2800 miles on them on craigslist. Marketed them towards Libertys and Toyotas
Old 03-18-2009, 06:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by pearl-drum-man
X2, won't get much for them through a tire retailer.

To the OP, however if you target them for another vehicle through Craigslist or something you might find a buyer and make it more worthwhile. For example, the 225/75/R16 is the stock size for the Jeep Liberty (up to 2007 at least) and there are a ton of those out there, most not modified. Advertise them for that.

Excellent thought, but FWIW, my KJ had 235/70-16's on it.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:18 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My tire dealer offered me $125/tire with about 500miles on them minus the spare....but I have been dealing with him for 10 years with my other vehicles.

Unfortunately, any tire on a new vehicle are used tires right off the lot...as they have been mounted and roaded even if they have 0.1 mile on them.

However, price will dependent on the size & tread type of the tire and if other vehicle manufactures use a similar tire. If it's a fairly rare size you may see much less as the dealer will have a more difficult time selling them.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:06 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by jeeperjkj
Excellent thought, but FWIW, my KJ had 235/70-16's on it.
Is it a Limited with the upgraded wheel/tire package?
Old 03-18-2009, 12:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am in that process now with my 32" Duelers. One dealer has offered me $65 each for them, I am waiting for the other dealer. Not much, but I am looking at the whole package. Tires w/mount balance included, versus mail order tires and hiring the Mount balance, or buy with wheels. They aren't that far apart, now that I bought spidertrax spacers I am finding.

Quick Reply: Trade in when buying new tires