Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Tranny Popped

Old 05-27-2013, 08:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Popped

Hello All. Happy Memorial Day!

So about an hour ago i was driving and was entering the high way i was in 3rd gear and i heard a bang and my clutch pedal fell to the floor. I put it in neutral and pumped the clutch a few times and now have a really hard clutch. i am able to shift but i can barely get the clutch down. could anyone direct in the right direction to diagnose what might be the matter...Blown clutch, tranny, master cylinder?

any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 05-27-2013, 08:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Start with the simple, less expensive stuff.

Did you check the fluid level of the master cylinder? If you pump the clutch several times, does the fluid level go down? In a parked location, can you detect any leaks of fluid either near the master or the slave cylinder?

I have limited experience here, but usually when the master cylinder fails, the clutch pedal is easier to depress, not harder. Probably the same with the slave because the seals are blown and the fluid escapes.

Buy some fluid and, with a second person under the rig, bleed and refill the master. Then keep depressing the clutch and see what happens. If the level goes down in the reservoir and you can see fluid dripping, then you'll have your answer. If not, then it gets more complicated, but it's hard to imagine that something like a damaged fork would still let you shift. I don't know what happens when a throw-out bearing completely fails; I've never experienced that.

Last edited by Grand Umpah; 05-27-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:35 AM
JK Newbie

thanks for the reply grand! i just checked the master and slave and no fluid is leaking...i dont have any experience with tinkering with the master cylinder...How do i bleed it? is there a bleeder valve on the cylinder itself of do i have to bleed it from the brakes? also i did see that my reservoir is a bit under min level.

thanks again
Old 05-27-2013, 11:32 AM
JK Newbie

Okay i found a thread stating to bleed from the slave cylinder...problem the bleeder valve on the slave is plastic no valve to loosen...any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thank you.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by GrBeast001
Okay i found a thread stating to bleed from the slave cylinder...problem the bleeder valve on the slave is plastic no valve to loosen...any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thank you.

The plastic valve is the valve to loosen to blead the system.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:07 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by goldtr8
The plastic valve is the valve to loosen to blead the system.
yes i read that thank you...for the life of me i can loosen it...i know this is a two person job unfortunately at this point in time its just me...do i need someone to be pressing the clutch in to allow me to loosen it?

thanks as always!
Old 05-27-2013, 12:23 PM
JK Newbie

okay i had a friend come over and pump the clutch still cant loosen it...any suggestions???
Old 05-27-2013, 12:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

If the level in the reservoir is fine, and with repeated pumping of the clutch pedal 1) the fluid level doesn't go down and 2) no fluid leaks at the firewall or under the tranny, I don't think that bleeding the system is going to help.

Take the cap off of the reservoir and you watch the level while your friend pumps the clutch. After 10-20 pumps, if the level doesn't go down, I doubt that it is the master or slave cylinder.

When you depress the clutch pedal with the engine off, is it still giving you a lot of resistance?
When you depress the clutch pedal with the engine running, is it still giving you a lot of resistance?
With the engine running, can you depress the pedal and get it into gear from neutral or from 1st to second?

And let the forum know what year your JK is; might make a difference as to advice that you get.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:44 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Grand Umpah
If the level in the reservoir is fine, and with repeated pumping of the clutch pedal 1) the fluid level doesn't go down and 2) no fluid leaks at the firewall or under the tranny, I don't think that bleeding the system is going to help.

Take the cap off of the reservoir and you watch the level while your friend pumps the clutch. After 10-20 pumps, if the level doesn't go down, I doubt that it is the master or slave cylinder.

When you depress the clutch pedal with the engine off, is it still giving you a lot of resistance?
When you depress the clutch pedal with the engine running, is it still giving you a lot of resistance?
With the engine running, can you depress the pedal and get it into gear from neutral or from 1st to second?

And let the forum know what year your JK is; might make a difference as to advice that you get.
The level of the reservoir was lower than min...when depressing the clutch with engine off and on it still gives a lot of resistance but i can get it into gear, all gears.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:45 PM
JK Newbie

also its an 08

Quick Reply: Tranny Popped