Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Tranny Popped

Old 05-27-2013, 01:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

The simplest explanations are usually the best place to start.
Given that your level in the reservoir was low, I think that I'd start there. Maybe there is air in the line or the slave and that's why you're getting resistance.

If you've never bled a clutch or brakes, I'm not sure you taking this on is a smart thing to do. If you break the plastic bleeder valve, then you'd probably have to replace whatever it's connected to (I assume it's the slave cylinder, but I have no familiarity with the '08).

This might be a case where taking it to a competent mechanic and an $80 charge for bleeding the system may solve your problem. If not, then things get more complicated.

If you really want to take this on yourself, then find some YouTube videos that walk you through the process. It's definitely a 2 person job; one to depress the clutch and the other to cycle the bleeder valve open and closed. And you have to watch the level in the reservoir to keep it full while you bleed the system.

Good luck; that's all I've got.

Quick Reply: Tranny Popped