Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Transfer Case Shifter Cable - Report to Jeep & NHTSA

Old 10-17-2011, 01:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just got back from dealership- both ends broke at same time. Cool huh. Two end plastic fittings come in a bag. They replaced the tc side down below but i didnt have time for the console to be pulled. So no 4x4 for me for a while. May get that aftermarket cable improvement kit from atlas

Edit- i found the bag from Mopar and the part number for two bushing kit is:

1-68064273AA

contents are two transfer shift cable end bushing replacements-one kit does both ends.

Last edited by Earth Siege; 10-29-2011 at 10:40 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas Trailmaker
I just got back from dealership- both ends broke at same time. Cool huh. Two end plastic fittings come in a bag. They replaced the tc side down below but i didnt have time for the console to be pulled. So no 4x4 for me for a while. May get that aftermarket cable improvement kit from atlas
Thanks for the info on Atlas, I never would have known . Looks like a solid design, and I like the install video on their site.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After working on this issue all weekend-i have been trying various local parts solutions and very few i like.

Tye wraps are not a good solution, they are a great emergency fix but not a long term solution.

The factory parts are made from absolutely Worthless material that should never have been created.

The retaining lip on the pin shaft that the cable attaches to is not defined well enough for a cotter pin or hair pin clip to stay on during cable distress( moving the shift lever on a stiff transfer case movement). They will pop off at random since these types of clips are made of small round wirelike material and the lip isnt deep enough to retain them under load.

E-clip is proving quite adequate for cable retention if a washer is used between cable black plastic loop and e-clip.

Since the original plastic mopar bushing disentegrates another type of bushing replacement must be used. I have spent quite a bit of time to find a material ( like a piece of cutoff steel fuel line tubing or simular) that was the right inner and outer diameters to fit with minimal or no looseness(minimal tolerance). I cant stand a sloppy shifter feeling.

I have made one that i like but am still working this angle, not fully impressed with dificulty of reproduction.

I want all parts to do one jeep( both ends of cable) all made from stainless steel parts. Im not a fan of rust.

I am hoping for a permentant solution to this problem.

If i find something made of all stainless parts the fit right i will talk to WOL about how to market it the right way for others to purchase the kit.

Quick Reply: Transfer Case Shifter Cable - Report to Jeep & NHTSA