JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   transfer case stuck in neutral (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/transfer-case-stuck-neutral-193892/)

orig93gt 09-01-2011 12:28 PM

transfer case stuck in neutral

So i was at the beach today, drove through some loose sand in 4Lo with the rear locked, everything was going great, I even dragged a honda cr-v out that had no business being out there, then on the way back I unlock the rear and tried to shift back in 2wd, but the transfer case level just broke free and flopped back and forth from 2wd to 4H to 4L with no resistance. Apparently the t-case got stuck in neutral, because although I could feel the trans engage, I could not get any power past the t-case. So long story short a friend towed me to the parking lot with his pickup and a flatbed took my jk to the dealer. Now, is it just me or is 10,000 miles on a 2011 a little low to be having failures like this. I'm still waiting to hear back from the dealer as to how long they'll have my rubi. Anyone else run into anything like this? Thanks-

Noxian 09-01-2011 12:38 PM

could be the shift linkage, i hear they are prone to breaking on the JKs, not sure if they resolved it on 2011s.

orig93gt 09-01-2011 12:51 PM

i figured it was something simple like that, I just hope they fix it quick. If it is prone to happening atleast the parts will probably be in stock

Ronson 09-01-2011 12:56 PM

There is a plastic clip on each side of the cable. Have broke mine a few times and now carry extras. If it happends to you again you can shift it at the transfer case by hand just watch out for the exaust pipe found out the hard way.

rozzman10 09-01-2011 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Ronson (Post 2506847)
There is a plastic clip on each side of the cable. Have broke mine a few times and now carry extras. If it happends to you again you can shift it at the transfer case by hand just watch out for the exaust pipe found out the hard way.

been there done that. get under the Jeep and have someone sit in it and wiggle the 4wd lever and you should be able to see the linkage flopping around.

JeepPilot10 09-01-2011 01:29 PM

Very common. Below is the part number. They are about $1 and you can snap it on with no tools. I keep several in the car.

Transfer case linkage bushings - 68064273AA

rozzman10 09-01-2011 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by JeepPilot10 (Post 2506914)
Very common. Below is the part number. They are about $1 and you can snap it on with no tools. I keep several in the car.

Transfer case linkage bushings - 68064273AA

did you just order a hand full from the dealer?

Vladimer 09-01-2011 01:35 PM

I had the same thing happen on the trail, the design is very bad which results in this little plastic clip holding the cable to the rod on the transfer case. I now carry spares so I don't have to go through the same processes to get it back into 2 high. Up here in Canada they charged $2.40 per little piece of dinky plastic. Heard of folks getting it for as cheap as $0.30 in the states.

rozzman10 09-01-2011 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Vladimer (Post 2506931)
I had the same thing happen on the trail, the design is very bad which results in this little plastic clip holding the cable to the rod on the transfer case. I now carry spares so I don't have to go through the same processes to get it back into 2 high. Up here in Canada they charged $2.40 per little piece of dinky plastic. Heard of folks getting it for as cheap as $0.30 in the states.

GEEZ! they are really diggin deep into your pockets! haha :gak:

Vladimer 09-01-2011 02:23 PM

No kidding, with markup I was expecting $1.00 or something but when he told me $2.40 I was like :eek2:, talk about a markup. That's %800 off of the $.3 :what?: AND the usd is generally weaker :naw:

Not like the couple bucks is going to kill me, but the drastic increase didn't make me happy