Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Transmission Clattering

Old 01-01-2012, 08:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Clattering

I have a 2010 Rubicon with the 6 speed and 13k miles on it. After sitting for more than 30 minutes or so I have a Clattering Sound that sounds similar to lifters rapping like it was spark knocking but its coming from the transmission when I release the clutch for the first 500rpm's or so in first gear and then again the same sound and duration going into second gear. Then it stops until the engine has been off for more than 30 minutes. The colder my engine the louder the clattering is. But cold or hot the sound goes away till after it's sat for awhile.

Thought maybe the throw out bearing issue but it only happens going into 1st and 2nd. Thought maybe it was taking a while to get the oil to the gears but the oil is full. Strange sound for a trans with only 13k miles on it. Any thoughts?
Old 01-01-2012, 11:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, have noticed the same sound occasionally on my '09; kind of a rythmic tapping/slapping sound and yeah, now that you mention it sitting cold for a while will bring it on. I always assumed that it was the throw out bearing but because it only happens occasionally and the bearing hasn't started to squeal yet I've not been too worried; with 45K miles on it now it doesn't seem to do it as much as it did when new. I initially thought that it may be the input shaft bearing however it makes the noise with the clutch either in or out so I discounted this earlier theory of mine.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:04 PM
JK Newbie

Mine only does it as I let the clutch out for about 2 to 3 seconds after the clutch engages as I increase about 500rpm. Stops when I push the clutch in and starts again as I let it back out. But only during 1st and 2nd gear, maybe a little noise occasionally when going into 3rd. Then that's it it's good for the rest of my trip.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Keoni
Mine only does it as I let the clutch out for about 2 to 3 seconds after the clutch engages as I increase about 500rpm. Stops when I push the clutch in and starts again as I let it back out. But only during 1st and 2nd gear, maybe a little noise occasionally when going into 3rd. Then that's it it's good for the rest of my trip.
Oh, OK, I think I understand better now. Are you talking about clutch judder, where the clutch plate pulses and vibrates as you release it, accompanied by the rattling noise?

Usually on other vehicles this is a sign of either oil or contaminates on the flywheel or a weak or broken spring on the clutch disc itself however on the JK it appears to be common and not necessarily linked to component faults. Apparantly the OEM clutch on the JK has a high metal content in the friction material that oxidizes when the clutch gets cold, particularly so if the air is also damp, leading to judder when starting off from cold until a few applications of the clutch has worn this material away; apparantly the springs on these things are also not particularly heavy-duty which compounds the problem. Mine will do this occasionally under the cold and damp conditions I mentioned or when I've babied the clutch too much and allowed these contaminants to build up on the friction surfaces.

If it actually is clutch judder you're describing then although you may still have one of the other issues I mentioned, it is more than likely that it is just typical behaviour for these JK clutches and not too much to worry about.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:40 AM
JK Newbie

Hmm never really thought about that. I'm sure it has gotten wet and the climate here is damp. I'm not aware of any after market clutches, PP's or throw out bearings for the JK. Happen to know of any?
Old 01-02-2012, 10:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Keoni
...I'm not aware of any after market clutches, PP's or throw out bearings for the JK. Happen to know of any?
Centreforce is the best known one; they do a heavy-duty clutch kit that is supposed to be pretty good, though pricey compared with the OEM one.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 2010 Rubicon, automatic... I noticed yesterday and today going up a short steep hill (pulling off from the main road so you have to start from 5 mph or so)... as soon as I start to climb the hill and get on the gas, I get a clattering sound (almost like really bad lifters) but it sounds like it's under the Jeep. I never heard it before, but with the doors off it was quite noticable.

any thoughts on this one? tranny or lifters? I have 26k miles...
Old 06-24-2012, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Sounds more like pinging (spark knock)
Old 06-25-2012, 02:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
Sounds more like pinging (spark knock)
what causes that, low octane fuel? funny thing is, as soon as it starts, if I get off the gas, then back on it it goes away.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It only makes the sound for me in first gear and I can only make it happen once and a while

Quick Reply: Transmission Clattering