Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Transmission fluid all over the ground but the dipstick is COVERED in the stuff!!!

Old 06-17-2016, 04:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission fluid all over the ground but the dipstick is COVERED in the stuff!!!

Hey guys and gals.
So I have a very strange question for you all. I have had my 09 Jeep Unlimited parked in front of the house since I drive it on the 4th of this month. Just a few weeks ago the wife said there was a big puddle underneath it. So I check and there is transmission fluid all over the skids, the exhaust and even the cat bends. I look at the seal behind the engine and yeah I see some wet, but this looks fresh and the stuff on the exhaust is still red, so it didn't get driven with a leak. There is nothing bunt on.

I checked the dip-stick to see how low it is and there is oil half way up the tube. I mean 18 inches up the stick is covered. I wipe it clean and it always comes back just coated in bight red fluid. Am I missing something here? What could cause this thing to be leaking all over and not register low?
Old 06-17-2016, 04:33 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by demtek9
Hey guys and gals.
So I have a very strange question for you all. I have had my 09 Jeep Unlimited parked in front of the house since I drive it on the 4th of this month. Just a few weeks ago the wife said there was a big puddle underneath it. So I check and there is transmission fluid all over the skids, the exhaust and even the cat bends. I look at the seal behind the engine and yeah I see some wet, but this looks fresh and the stuff on the exhaust is still red, so it didn't get driven with a leak. There is nothing bunt on.

I checked the dip-stick to see how low it is and there is oil half way up the tube. I mean 18 inches up the stick is covered. I wipe it clean and it always comes back just coated in bight red fluid. Am I missing something here? What could cause this thing to be leaking all over and not register low?
The pan is quite overfilled when the engine is not spinning the transmission.
Clean off all the fluid and see if you can see from where it originates.
Old 06-17-2016, 04:58 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ronjenx
The pan is quite overfilled when the engine is not spinning the transmission.
Clean off all the fluid and see if you can see from where it originates.
Thanks for the reply ronjenx...that was on the plan of action. So I did put in about 3/4 of a bottle out at Easter Jeep Safari this year because I was running what looked like 1/2 low. I added this because I was on a ledge I think I have a bubble or something because I hit the gas and slid back on my hard on my hitch when I should have crawled. I had it in 2nd gear, so a more senior jeeper than myself said 4RLE transmissions were susceptible to bubbles in the fluid causing a slip if on a steep incline. Also that an many run them a quart overfull. That was 2 months ago.
Hes not the first I've heard say that so I though it would be find doing that and had no drips since. I drove it home 450 miles and ran it around town a few times and didn't see a thing, but its been up on the curb for 2 weeks at a very slight angle. Even after I put in the fluid at MOAB it didn't read overfull but maybe it was.

I want to clean all of it off before I start it to make sure a fire doesn't break out.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same exact thing

What was the cause of your leak I have the same exact issue with a 2007. Had not driven in a week then all the sudden a puddle under it.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have seen before if the vent tube for the trans is clogged up the extra pressure will push it out of the dipstick tube. not sure if thats your issue but cant hurt to check
Old 05-02-2019, 12:58 PM
JK Newbie

Default Trans leak

Ok thanks for the input. I will check it out. I can’t find a good diagram of the trans but I think the vent tube is right there close to the dip stick
Old 05-07-2019, 05:09 PM
JK Newbie

Default Vent tube

I couldn’t get the vent tube off to see if it was clogged butni drive it around and the problem is gone. So it must have been a venting issue or something

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid all over the ground but the dipstick is COVERED in the stuff!!!