Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

transmission fluid leak

Old 03-06-2019, 10:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission fluid leak

hi guys! another problem here, when checked underneath my JKUR 2013 last night, found one more leak, transmission fluid. the fluid is over the back part of the transmission from the top to the bottom. I think it is not the transmission oil pan otherwise there shouldnt be any fluid at the top part. any idea or suggestion on how to check the leak?

As my jeep was parked for the whole day and there was no fluid on the floor so I assumed it is some kind of seepage?

Any help will be great!

don't know why but the uploading the picture always stop at 90%, I will put the pics on when I figure it out.

Last edited by schelca; 03-06-2019 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:55 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

It's not apparent on my computer what color the fluid is.

Assuming it's red ATF+4...Has anyone recently checked the fluid level, and added some fluid? That looks more than a leak. It could be getting pumped out of the dipstick/filler tube, or out of the transmission vent.

So, check the fluid level with the transmission warmed up, engine idling, in Neutral or Park.
If that's OK, clean all the residue off with brake cleaner, cleaning as high as you can get on the transmission. Keep an eye on it to see if you can determine the source.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:35 PM
JK Newbie

Thank you Ronjenx, just got another reply from wranglerforum, it is the engine oil, from the oil filter adaptor assembly. that's why no oil from the engine oil pan.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:46 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by schelca
Thank you Ronjenx, just got another reply from wranglerforum, it is the engine oil, from the oil filter adaptor assembly. that's why no oil from the engine oil pan.
I suspected it wasn't transmission fluid, but wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt.

The following users liked this post:
schelca (03-06-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 08:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The parts to fix are about 300$ if you get from a dealer. With the number of those that fail I went dealership with parts for the 2yr warranty in the event it fails again. Total wrench time to swap out the cooler filter housing is about 4 hours with a couple beers. Not terribly difficult but lots of little steps
Old 03-08-2021, 09:00 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by schelca

hi guys! Another problem here, when checked underneath my jkur 2013 last night, found one more leak, transmission fluid. The fluid is over the back part of the transmission from the top to the bottom. I think it is not the transmission oil pan otherwise there shouldnt be any fluid at the top part. Any idea or suggestion on how to check the leak?

As my jeep was parked for the whole day and there was no fluid on the floor so i assumed it is some kind of seepage?

Any help will be great!

Don't know why but the uploading the picture always stop at 90%, i will put the pics on when i figure it out.
what ended up being the problem and how much did it cost? I seem to have the same problem going on. Thanks
Old 03-08-2021, 10:18 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

See post #3. OP had a leak at the oil cooler. Likely a stupid o-ring, could be a crack in the filter housing. Regardless, it means the entire intake comes off the top of the engine just to get to the parts. If you go to a dealer you could be looking at $5-800. If you are handing and can do the work at home it's a few hours time in the garage.

Quick Reply: transmission fluid leak