Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Transmission problem in automatic?

Old 02-13-2013, 08:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission problem in automatic?

Hey guys so I have a stock unlimited 2010. Been meaning to change a bunch of things but a baby and some other things have come in the way. Anyways my wife was driving the JK and had valet parked the car. Well she got into the car whe leaving and the ABS light came on for about a minut and turned off. The jeep would not go over about 15-20mph. So she pulled over in a gas station since she needed gas and called me. I made sure it wasn't the parking break, she had it in D etc. Told her to put in the gas, start it back up and try it again. Called me back and said it won't go over 5-10mph. She parked it and I went to go check it out. I got there and it backed up perfectly fine. However when you put it in D, it will start to go just fine, then when it hits about 10mph or so as your giving gas it kind jolts or you feel a bump as it feels like it is trying to get into 2nd gear and the engine revs but it seems the transmission won't allow it to shift into second and speed up.

Anyways I got it towed to the dealership and left it there last night and are waiting to hear from them today. The jeep has 28,000 but just passed the 3 yr warranty 3 weeks ago, but the guy said the powertrain warranty is still effective and so if it is a transmission issue it should be covered.

You guys have any idea of what the issue is?
Old 02-13-2013, 09:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Transmission had a problem and went into limp mode.

Hope you have some luck with the warranty.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:32 AM
JK Newbie

Just got off the phone with them and they still don't know what is going on. He said they cleared everything and are going to road test it again and see what happens, ie what codes pop up etc.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:34 PM
JK Newbie

Ok just got a call back. My tire inflation light had just come on but there didn't seem to be any significant loss of air in any tire. Anyway the guy was saying that the loss in tire pressure may have tripped the ABS light and caused this whole issue? Seems odd to me but can that happen? And it seems odd that a slight drop in pressure shouldnt result in that. My wife told me that the light had just came on earlier in the day (ie in the morning when she started the car) but that she looked to see if she had a flat tire but there was absolutely no visual difference and had planned to put some additional air in the tires but hadn't gotten to it yet.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm not a mechanic, but that doesn't sound right. I'm running without TPMS sensors in my wheels, and I get the TPMS light and chime (4x) every time I start it. If the tech was right in saying this is all caused by the TPMS, wouldn't everyone running without sensors have this issue?
Old 02-13-2013, 02:05 PM
JK Newbie

It didn't sound right to me but I am not a mechanic and don't know if if one tire had tire pressure loss if it would effect anything else that would trip the cpu or something.

I mean that doesn't even make sense to me that it would trip the cpu either but not positive

Last edited by anthony20031; 02-13-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Sounds like a bad wheel bearing. Had the same issue and needed a new wheel bearing,I changed the sensors first but still had the problem.

Trending Topics

Old 02-13-2013, 04:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by anthony20031
Ok just got a call back. My tire inflation light had just come on but there didn't seem to be any significant loss of air in any tire. Anyway the guy was saying that the loss in tire pressure may have tripped the ABS light and caused this whole issue? Seems odd to me but can that happen? And it seems odd that a slight drop in pressure shouldnt result in that. My wife told me that the light had just came on earlier in the day (ie in the morning when she started the car) but that she looked to see if she had a flat tire but there was absolutely no visual difference and had planned to put some additional air in the tires but hadn't gotten to it yet.
I drove around for a week with the TPMS light on. One tire was down a couple pounds and I was too lazy to air it up. I've also driven aired-down for days off-road with the TPMS light on. It has never affected the way the Jeep runs.

I've never heard of a connection between TPMS and ABS, and would be surprised if I ever do.

If this is a warranty thing, expect the dealer to feed you BS and keep you confused as long as possible. If its not under warranty, expect an expensive estimate soon. None of which may have anything to do with what actually went wrong.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine did the same thing

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2287348638.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	421972

It ended up being an ABS module that the dealership replaced. I disabled my tire pressure sensors with the AEV Procal.

Happy wheeling!
Old 02-14-2013, 06:58 AM
JK Newbie

So just heard back from the dealer. They said that a wheel sensor failed and was causing the cpu into "limp mode" ie causing the transmission to not allow it to shift out of 1st gear. It is covered under warranty, I just have to pay $100 deductible.

On a bright note my tread is starting to wear down so looks like I get to upgrade . Hoping to be able to fit 33s without a lift. Time to begin researching!

Quick Reply: Transmission problem in automatic?