Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Treadwright retreads - thoughts?

Old 07-05-2013, 12:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Treadwright retreads - thoughts?

Been trying to do some research on treadwright retreads... I have seen a number of people who have them post positive reviews and have seen lots of what I will call "anecdotal" stories and reasons not to buy them.

I know the Treadwright retreads are different than the re-caps on semi tires, that semi tires and passenger car/light truck tires are made with different materials than semi tires, etc... I guess what I am looking for is feedback from folks that either have them or have used them... I dont have an issue paying for 'new' tires, but what the hell, for the price difference I can order a flashpaq, lift or flat fenders.

Yes, I have searched... but am hoping to gather more info. These will be on my daily driver, I drive around 5 miles round trip per day. Freeway/highway driving about 20% of the time on weekends and running errands. off-road about 5% of the time and thats only trails and the beaches... I dont even remember the last time I needed to air-down.

So... 750.00 for a set (5) of the Guardians (BFG A/T tread) or 1250 for a set (5) of BFG A/T's (or even 900.00 for a set of Rugged terrains)

Thanks guys!
Old 07-05-2013, 01:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have treadwright's sentinel 265/75/16 that i purchased back in April or May. I did the same thing after hearing about the company from some one my father worked with who had them on his Wrangler. I drive a lot, my commute is 55 miles one way. I wanted to go with a bigger tire to complement the 3" lift that was installed but wasn't ready to buy the wheels i wanted plus tires yet. Anyway, long story short, I'm pretty happy with these tires, haven't had the chance to do some off-road trips yet, but in the rain, daily commuting, etc they grip pretty well. And they are not too noisy on the hwy either. I only hear them with the radio off or a little more with the top off and radio on. The only minor issue i had was one tire wouldn't balance but i called treadwright and they sent me another tire. Their customer service was pretty good as well. Hope this info helps a little.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have about 20,000 miles on my 315 Guard Dogs with Kedge Grip and I'm still ecstatic about them. This is my daily driver as well as weekend wheeler and I will put these up against any "new" tire without hesitation. They still look nearly new in tread depth, and their rock rash is no worse than any other tires I've seen that see similar trail use. And if rain/snow performance is important to you, there is no mud-terrain tire that performs as well. Kedge Grip is no gimmick - it's worth the $10 upgrade per tire.

I freakin' love these tires. When I wear through these, I will buy another set. That's how pleased I am with them.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:18 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys!

Thats the kind of feedback I am talking about - real info from folks that actually have them.

I am thinking that while the savings wont be enough to afford a regear, it will definitely be enough to afford a flashpaq. So, with 3.73's I dont think I will want to go to a 35" tire so I will probably get a set of the 285/70-17 Wardens. As much as I like the idea of the Mud Dogs, I just dont have a need for a super-agressive MT (I suppose I wont have a need... until suddenly I have a NEED for them. lol)
Old 07-06-2013, 09:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

i HAD THE 315 GUARDIANS WITH KEDGE GRIP ON MY LAST JEEP AND LOVED THEM. I WILL BE GETTING THE 315 CLAW'S WHEN THEY BECOME AVAILABLE FOR MY NEW JKU
Old 07-06-2013, 12:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm running the 315 guard dogs great tire. I wish they made a 37 in a 17" Wheel. I'm going 37's after these wear out. But from what people have been posting I'll get 50K from these so I have 47K to go on them.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:39 PM
JK Freak

had mine for 3 years.
great tire. when I get some new tires in October.
I will be buying another set of these.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:50 PM
JK Newbie

I have about 3000 miles on my wardens and they are great. My last vehicle (xterra) had wardens on them too with no problems.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:42 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the feedback guys... I figured its much easier to find someone vocal about a negative experience than a positive one, if thats the case, I think its looking pretty positive.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Surinam
Thanks for the feedback guys... I figured its much easier to find someone vocal about a negative experience than a positive one, if thats the case, I think its looking pretty positive.
I searched the Internet for bad reviews, and the only bad comments I saw were people that didn't have them and said they wouldn't trust them. Everyone else that was actually running them had no complaints, from what I found. So I ordered a set of 315/70R17 GUARD DOGs, and have had them on the jeep for just over 5000, and have no complaints. They looked so good, that a buddy also purchased a set, and another is planning on getting them when he gets new tires later this year.
So what I am saying, give them a shot, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Quick Reply: Treadwright retreads - thoughts?