Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Trektop NX vs. Stock Soft Top

Old 02-24-2014, 06:52 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Trektop NX vs. Stock Soft Top

I currently have a stock soft top that's needs to be replaced. Debating the trektop NX or just getting a sunrider stock top

For those with the NX is the install and top removal easy? Anything you don't like about it?

For those who have had both..which one did you like more?
Old 02-24-2014, 07:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend has a trektop on his 13' 4 dr and its very challenging to put on and take it off. everything is soooo tight so lots of brute force was always used to zip it up. However.. we both agree that it looks awesome!
Old 02-24-2014, 07:14 AM
JK Junkie

Ive got a hard top and trektop. Install isnt bad just make sure u leave it in sun in about 65+ degrees for hour or two. It softens it up. I love the trektop and it really isnt a tough install. Go trek top and dont look back
Old 02-24-2014, 07:18 AM
JK Freak

I have a 2 door so not sure if that's going to make much of a difference or not. I love the look of the NX. I have now the non sun rider stock top and it's old and faded so was looking for a change.

I found a NX on Craigslist slightly used for 400 so was debating it.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:39 AM
JK Freak

With everything I have read, it's been all great reviews for the Trektop NX. The only complaints I see are from the people who don't leave it out of the box and in direct sunlight for a few hours or don't install it the way the instructions say. I'll be ordering mine within the next two weeks.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TakeABackRoad
For those with the NX is the install and top removal easy
The two biggest complaints are not being able to fold or take off the whole top part and losing some cargo room

If you don't care about trying to let sun into the back seat or you don't pile stuff all the way to the top in the rear it will work for you
Old 02-24-2014, 09:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the trektop NX on my 14JKU and love it. I can't say if its better than the stock soft top because I have a hard top but it was almost as quiet and doesn't leak at all. Love the look on the 4 door, not so much on the 2 door. I put mine on in 50 degree cloudy weather and didn't have a problem with it at all, though it would be easier in warm weather. If you watch the bestop YouTube install video and read the instructions it's extremely simple to put on. Also, with the trektop NX you can use the sunrider feature and unhook the middle to open up the back seat
Old 02-25-2014, 07:06 PM
JK Newbie

I bought the trektop nx for my JKU last summer, but returned it within the return period due to Cargo room loss and PITA zipping of the rear window. I had mine on the highway in bikini mode as described in the post above (sunrider). Mine rippled in the back as the clips that hold the rear can't withstand the force of the air current. Ended up with stock soft top. Trek top looks are awesome. Can't argue with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-26-2014, 04:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Trektop NX on my 07 2 door. My only regret was not installing it sooner. I love it - no more leaks and it is sooo much quieter! Installation was pretty straightforward and didn't take too long. Yes, like others have posted - leave the top out in the sun on a warm/hot day it will make installation much easier.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:23 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BlikitSchmikit
I have the Trektop NX on my 07 2 door. My only regret was not installing it sooner. I love it - no more leaks and it is sooo much quieter! Installation was pretty straightforward and didn't take too long. Yes, like others have posted - leave the top out in the sun on a warm/hot day it will make installation much easier.
Is it easy to take the top down and do you have to store the top if you remove it in the summer or it has folds down?

Is 400 a good price for a used top?

Quick Reply: Trektop NX vs. Stock Soft Top