Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Trouble starting...

Old 10-03-2007, 12:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble starting...

Has anyone experienced any trouble starting their JK? Once every 10 times I start it or so, it wont start unless I crank on it for a couple seconds or try to start it, wait a couple seconds then try again. I havent figured out how to recreate it, as sometimes it happens after sitting overnight, sometimes it happens after running in and out of a store for 10 minutes or so.

Kinda seems like maybe its not getting fuel due to it leaking out if the lines to the injectors or something, but I dont smell anything... I'm totally just guessing though.

I searched the forums, but didnt see too much... so let me know if anyone has had any experiences with this.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

This happens to me atleast once a day, where it takes around 3 to 5 seconds of cranking for it to start. I'd say I start it 6 to 10 times a day depending on my schedule. Have talked to the dealer about this and it wont happen(of course) while at the service dept. This is the first vehicle I've owned thats done this and I would say it's not normal but nobody can recreate it or tell me why it's happening. A vehicle with fuel injection should fire up right away.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah I've had this happen.. just happens at random...
Old 10-03-2007, 01:44 PM
JK Freak

same here. in fact my jk spent a day and a half at the dealer, where they "started vehicle 150 times and no problem detected" was all i got to show for it. Cold weather is coming fast and i want my remote starter installed but i KNOW they will claim i messed the computer up by installing it. Even told the service manager that exact same thing and he laughed and said youre probably right It almost to me seems like it isnt picking up the transponder signal from the key fast enough or it is not relaying the information to the ECM. Basically for a few seconds it thinks the Jeep is being stolen, but then realizes the key is in the ignition and it finally fires up. Has anyone gotten a tech to actually scan one of these while starting i was told unless they get it to do it under normal conditions they can not pay the tech to hook the scanner up
Old 10-03-2007, 01:50 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm... Interesting. I haven't had this problem, but I worked with RFID at an old job and it is hampered by a few things including competing radio signals, reflective materials (e.g. metal), and absorbing materials (e.g. water). You guys running any radio emitting equipment that could be interfering with the starting process?
Old 10-03-2007, 01:50 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Other keys with transponders could also cause a problem.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:54 PM
JK Freak

the only electronic device in the jeep that didnt come with it from the factory is the keyless entry unit, which has been used on several other jeeps that i know of that have had no problems. I have tried both keys hanging on the same ring and both keys one at a time in the vehicle and still the same result
Old 10-03-2007, 02:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by James76
It almost to me seems like it isnt picking up the transponder signal from the key fast enough or it is not relaying the information to the ECM.
here's a suggestion...how about replacing the battery on the key? it does have a battery, right? I know it's a new car with new stuff, but maybe you guys got a bad batch or something.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:07 PM
JK Freak

well i dont have keyless or an alarm so my key doesnt have a battery?

Old 10-03-2007, 02:16 PM
JK Freak

Im sorry i should have been more specific. To my knowledge the way it works it the chip in the key does nothing but be read by a halo around the key cylinder. Some sort of magnetic pickup that translates to a specific resistance preprogrammed into the computer. If it doesnt match or it doesnt sense it fast enough, the engine will not be allowed to start, most likely by the ECM blocking fuel. So technically you could shoot ether down the intake and it would hit a little but i wouldnt reccomend that even IF you could get a pattern to test this. That IS the maddening part tho. There seems to be no pattern at all to it. Does it both when its cold and when its warm, as well as at anytime during the day, rain or shine. I mean to me that means a computer glitch right?

Quick Reply: Trouble starting...