Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Trouble with transfer case linkage

Old 04-24-2012, 06:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble with transfer case linkage

Im trying to install a new plastic bushing, the one that connects the linkage to the transfer case shifter. Its wicked difficult to push it into the black ring of the linkage. Anybody have any pointers??
Old 04-24-2012, 07:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

As far as I know everyone's been using 2 zip ties in a "x"pattern or replacing it with the advanced adapters setup....I don't have any pointers on replacing the stock plastic setup, but if you can't get it the zip tie method should get you going for a while
Old 04-24-2012, 07:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 4WheelingAstronomer
Im trying to install a new plastic bushing, the one that connects the linkage to the transfer case shifter. Its wicked difficult to push it into the black ring of the linkage. Anybody have any pointers??
Sorry to hear you are still struggling with your T-case. Sounds like you may be close to fixing it?
Old 04-24-2012, 07:45 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BagOfDoorknobs

Sorry to hear you are still struggling with your T-case. Sounds like you may be close to fixing it?
Well its a two part story and I meant to PM you: the part you know ends like so....

It was a bad spring ($2.89) inside the transfer case plus they replaced a vacuum seal and a plunger (THAT was $25). Various smaller parts and the grand total was $50. Labor however was $475. Oh well.

So I went wheeling. Boy was wheeling in 4low awesome!!!!

The next day, randomly, I noticed the shifter was slack. WTF!!!! Once again removed the center console to reveal that the plastic bushing was broken. Quite random and not a failure on the dealers part. Online research showed this to be a common weak point in the system but only costs 60 cents.

Last edited by 4WheelingAstronomer; 04-24-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:52 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by efan450
As far as I know everyone's been using 2 zip ties in a "x"pattern or replacing it with the advanced adapters setup....I don't have any pointers on replacing the stock plastic setup, but if you can't get it the zip tie method should get you going for a while
Thank you. I'll explore both options meanwhile
Old 06-20-2013, 07:35 PM
JK Freak

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3926459423.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	470203

Ok boys, I have a follow-up. Headed out on the trail. My son goes to switch into 4wd and the lever is loose. I went through this in April of 2012 and had the replaced the crappy $0.30 piece under the console. I took the center console off.....it's fine. Look under the Jeep and discover they use the same piece at the transfer case. Definitely installing a Advanced Adaptors linkage!!!!
Old 06-20-2013, 07:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm trying to understand which, or if both bushings failed; the one on the console shift lever or the one on the transfer case end?
Is one more difficult to replace than the other?
I've been thinking about buying spare bushings just to have with me in case one fails on the trail. But if they're essentially impossible to replace by yourself, then that would be good to know.

Quick Reply: Trouble with transfer case linkage