JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   turn off ESP (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/turn-off-esp-4505/)

oldtimejeep 10-31-2010 02:13 PM

Esp

Do the steering wheel disable for the ESP. Disabled my 08 in 2 wheel drive. All but anti lock brakes.

blockrockin 11-05-2010 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Lt. Dan (Post 1925155)
Awesome!!!!!

Next question, to re-enable ESP, can I just follow the procedure again?

yup :thumbsup:

jlarso 12-02-2010 11:07 AM

ESP Swich, which wire to cut?

2 Attachment(s)
I figured it out but not until I cut the wrong wire.
Here are a couple pictures to clarify which wire to cut.
Attachment 106576
The wrong wire is the purple wire with the large spiral light blue stripe. It is wound in a twisted pair wound around a white with a blue stripe.
The correct wire has a very narrow blue stripe and the stripe is difficult to see, but it is a straight wire, shown cut also in the picture.
Here is a picture (I hope) of were I mounted the switch. The other switch with the blue light above it will be used for the rear locker after I install the Rubicon rear end I purchased.
Attachment 106577
I used the left switch for the ESP because it is much handier to locate and I didn't want to have to reset every time I shutdown and started the engine.

Herculz 02-03-2011 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by jlarso (Post 1963829)
I figured it out but not until I cut the wrong wire.
Here are a couple pictures to clarify which wire to cut.
Attachment 106576
The wrong wire is the purple wire with the large spiral light blue stripe. It is wound in a twisted pair wound around a white with a blue stripe.
The correct wire has a very narrow blue stripe and the stripe is difficult to see, but it is a straight wire, shown cut also in the picture.
Here is a picture (I hope) of were I mounted the switch. The other switch with the blue light above it will be used for the rear locker after I install the Rubicon rear end I purchased.
Attachment 106577
I used the left switch for the ESP because it is much handier to locate and I didn't want to have to reset every time I shutdown and started the engine.

is your switch for the esp have ground acc and power? or is it just like a switch that they use for the bypassing the lockers where its only to connectors. i assume just an on off switch?

ntropy 02-03-2011 04:22 PM

I've thought about doing the steering wheel dance to turn it off, but after driving on glare ice for 4 straight days here in Dallas-Fort Worth, I've decided that the ESP definitely has a reason for being. And although turning it off for donuts and other fun times can be accomplished with the button on the dash, as 'glocksrfun' says, it has saved my a$$ when the junk in my trunk started to slide at some inopportune moments.

Peter01 02-03-2011 09:50 PM

fyi

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...ad.php?t=84348

zking1776 02-04-2011 03:02 AM

I've had my JK for three pretty nasty winters and I HATE the ESP. I prefer driving without that "electronic nanny" as someone else put it. I've driven rear wheel drive vehicles my whole life without an issue, I don't need help now, especially in a Jeep! Either you know how to drive in the snow and ice or you don't and a lot of people don't.

jlarso 02-04-2011 03:14 AM

Swithches

Originally Posted by Herculz (Post 2075897)
is your switch for the esp have ground acc and power? or is it just like a switch that they use for the bypassing the lockers where its only to connectors. i assume just an on off switch?

They are just simple on and off switches I purchase at Advanced Auto.

Herculz 02-04-2011 04:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 124619Attachment 124620

Originally Posted by jlarso (Post 2076914)
They are just simple on and off switches I purchase at Advanced Auto.

cool beans your write up was key on point, i had to look for a bundle of wires like yours near to carpet and found it, thanks again

heres my switch and oh when its disabled i had no clue these lights would go bling bling.

cmthresher 02-04-2011 07:42 PM

It's easiest found at the rear of the console Only about 6 wires there. It's the top right wire. Easily seen from the passengers side rear console side. Easy setup.