Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Twist off air valve cap to see that valve stem is broken, but still attached?

Old 07-10-2012, 04:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twist off air valve cap to see that valve stem is broken, but still attached?

So as the title states, I have an '09 JKU with TPMS. Low tire pressure light came on this morning, and while checking my spare, I removed the valve cap only to realize that the valve stem itself was cracked (middle perimeter). Tried to get a reading, and got a very vague "15 psi" but once I tried to put air into it, there was an obviously leak because of a "hissing" sound.

Question is, is the valve stem and that entire piece covered by warranty? That was my first time trying to put air into the tire and the first time I ever noticed that. I don't know what could have caused it, but it's very inconvenient. All input is welcome, thanks!!
Old 07-10-2012, 05:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by j0ker
So as the title states, I have an '09 JKU with TPMS. Low tire pressure light came on this morning, and while checking my spare, I removed the valve cap only to realize that the valve stem itself was cracked (middle perimeter). Tried to get a reading, and got a very vague "15 psi" but once I tried to put air into it, there was an obviously leak because of a "hissing" sound.

Question is, is the valve stem and that entire piece covered by warranty? That was my first time trying to put air into the tire and the first time I ever noticed that. I don't know what could have caused it, but it's very inconvenient. All input is welcome, thanks!!
you're looking at like $30-$50 to pull the tire change the valve stem and remount and balance. is it really worth the time waiting with the dealership to see if they warranty a valve stem which seems ridiculous that they would.

Quick Reply: Twist off air valve cap to see that valve stem is broken, but still attached?