Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Two unused connectors in cargo area

Old 04-30-2017, 08:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two unused connectors in cargo area

I was running a CB antenna cable earlier today, and when I removed the trim and pulled the carpet back in the cargo area on the passenger side I found two unused connectors. I was wondering if anybody out there knows what these two connectors are used for? Thanks in advance!!
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170430_100414.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	2.15 MB
ID:	671066Click image for larger version

Name:	20170430_100421.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	2.60 MB
ID:	671067
Old 04-30-2017, 09:08 AM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Two things come to mind for me (2008 JKU) one is the motor for the rear windshield and the other is the tow kit harness. I believe at least the windshield harness is on the drivers side if memory serves me. Sorry it's been a while and we yanked out everything we aren't using when we Rhino Lined the bed.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Potentially the sub and cig lighter that is back there on some models? What year do you have, 12+, right??

I'm also in the area
Old 04-30-2017, 09:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The connector for the hard top is on the other side, currently hooked up. And I've got the towing package so the trailer wiring is hooked up as well, not sure where though. The sub crossed my mind, however, I didn't think it was pre-wired for it since I don't have the upgraded audio system. I just have the basic audio system... I am regretting that as it sounds like completely crap. And an additional 12v outlet would be awesome to have. I have a 2015 JKU.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:35 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by gmauney
The connector for the hard top is on the other side, currently hooked up. And I've got the towing package so the trailer wiring is hooked up as well, not sure where though. The sub crossed my mind, however, I didn't think it was pre-wired for it since I don't have the upgraded audio system. I just have the basic audio system... I am regretting that as it sounds like completely crap. And an additional 12v outlet would be awesome to have. I have a 2015 JKU.
Usually they prewire for options so you might be on to something! 👍
Old 04-30-2017, 04:04 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

You're not missing much with the sub. I really can't tell mine is back there unless I really pump up the volume. At normal listening levels the bass is not noticeable. 2012 jku
Old 04-30-2017, 05:46 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
You're not missing much with the sub. I really can't tell mine is back there unless I really pump up the volume. At normal listening levels the bass is not noticeable. 2012 jku
I removed my sub when I put in the underfloor storage, and, at the time, could not tell the difference.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That is the pre-wired plug for power to the subwoofer. There are a couple of threads and posts around here, one is mine, where people have tapped in here for power for an outlet. This is fused at the PCU and can be either battery or ignition hot, depending on placement of the fuse.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:37 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by kmrtnsn
That is the pre-wired plug for power to the subwoofer. There are a couple of threads and posts around here, one is mine, where people have tapped in here for power for an outlet. This is fused at the PCU and can be either battery or ignition hot, depending on placement of the fuse.
Great tip! I, like many, no longer run the subwoofer and could use a switched power in the cargo area!
Old 05-01-2017, 11:46 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,585 Posts

Originally Posted by kmrtnsn
Happen to have a link handy to your thread on this? Searched for threads you started but didn't see it under electric, stock, or modified.

Quick Reply: Two unused connectors in cargo area