Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

U.S. model have daylight running lights?

Old 01-02-2008, 04:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shakeyhands
Why wouldn't you guys want DRL's?????
this might answer your question:

1 | What are the safety advantages of DRLs?

Daytime running lights (DRLs) are a low-cost method to reduce crashes. They are especially effective in preventing daytime head-on and front-corner collisions by increasing vehicle conspicuity and making it easier to detect approaching vehicles from farther away.

2 | Where are DRLs required?

Laws in Canada, Denmark, Finland, Hungary, Iceland, Norway, and Sweden require vehicles to operate with lights on during the daytime. There are two types of laws. Canada's requires vehicles to be equipped with DRLs. The other type of law (in effect in Denmark, Finland, Hungary, Iceland, Norway, and Sweden) requires motorists to turn on their headlights if their vehicles do not have automatic DRLs. In 1972, Finland mandated daytime running lights in winter on rural roads and a decade later made DRLs mandatory year-round. Sweden's law took effect in 1977, Norway's in 1986, Iceland's in 1988, and Denmark's in 1990. Hungary has required drivers on rural roads to operate with vehicle lights on since 1993. Canada requires DRLs for vehicles made after December 1, 1989. No US state mandates DRLs, but some require drivers to operate vehicles with lights on in bad weather.

3 | Are DRLs available on vehicles in the United States?

First offered on a handful of 1995 domestic and foreign model passenger cars, pickups, and SUVs, daytime running lights are becoming a more common feature. They are standard on all General Motors, Lexus, Mercedes Benz, Saab, Subaru, Suzuki, Volkswagen, and Volvo models as well as some Chrysler, Honda and Toyota models. GM offers retrofit kits for vehicles that do not already have DRLs. The kits can be used on non-GM models, too.

4 | How effective are DRLs?

Nearly all published reports indicate DRLs reduce multiple-vehicle daytime crashes. Evidence about DRL effects on crashes comes from studies conducted in Scandinavia, Canada, and the United States. A study examining the effect of Norway's DRL law from 1980 to 1990 found a 10 percent decline in daytime multiple-vehicle crashes.1 A Danish study reported a 7 percent reduction in DRL-relevant crashes in the first 15 months after DRL use was required and a 37 percent decline in left-turn crashes.2 In a second study covering 2 years and 9 months of Denmark's law, there was a 6 percent reduction in daytime multiple-vehicle crashes and a 34 percent reduction in left-turn crashes.3 A 1994 Transport Canada study comparing 1990 model year vehicles with DRLs to 1989 vehicles without them found that DRLs reduced relevant daytime multiple-vehicle crashes by 11 percent.4

In the United States, a 1985 Institute study determined that commercial fleet passenger vehicles modified to operate with DRLs were involved in 7 percent fewer daytime multiple-vehicle crashes than similar vehicles without DRLs.5 A small-scale fleet study conducted in the 1960s found an 18 percent lower daytime multiple-vehicle crash rate for DRL-equipped vehicles.6 Multiple-vehicle daytime crashes account for about half of all police-reported crashes in the United States. A 2002 Institute study reported a 3 percent decline in daytime multiple-vehicle crash risk in nine US states concurrent with the introduction of DRLs.7 Federal researchers, using data collected nationwide, concluded that there was a 5 percent decline in daytime, two-vehicle, opposite-direction crashes and a 12 percent decline in fatal crashes with pedestrians and bicyclists.8

5 | Will DRLs shorten headlamp bulb life or lower fuel economy?

Running vehicle lights in the daytime does not significantly shorten bulb life. Systems like those on General Motors cars that use high beams are designed to operate at half their normal power during daylight hours, thereby conserving energy and reducing the effect on a vehicle's fuel economy. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) estimates that only a fraction of a mile per gallon will be lost, depending on the type of system used. GM estimates the cost to be about $3 per year for the average driver. Transport Canada estimates the extra annual fuel and bulb replacement costs to be $3-15 for systems using reduced-intensity headlights or other low-intensity lights and more than $40 a year for DRL systems using regular low-beam headlights.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds like some people have lost their tin foil hat.......
Old 01-03-2008, 03:18 AM
JK Newbie

Blackjkrubi...did you install DRLs in your JK? GM's kit? I know I want them in mine.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:38 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by blackjkrubi
this might answer your question:

1 | What are the safety advantages of DRLs?

Daytime running lights (DRLs) are a low-cost method to reduce crashes. They are especially effective in preventing daytime head-on and front-corner collisions by increasing vehicle conspicuity and making it easier to detect approaching vehicles from farther away.
Surprise! If you shine a bright light into somebody's eyes, they're more likely to see you! I hate DRLs and am glad that my JK doesn't have them. What I hate worse are those folks who run around with their real headlights on because their vehicle has auto headlight off. I wonder if they consider the safety disadvantages of shining a bright light into someone else's eyes, and how the resultant reduced visibility of oncoming drivers/drivers whom they're following could increase accident potential, especially in crowded areas? Obviously, the safety advocates haven't.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 01-03-2008 at 08:41 AM.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:54 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use my parking lights in the day.... but ive noticed during times of high sun glare, cars with their tailights on are much more noticable then cars without them on.

And as far as Im aware, a dealer can turn on DRL's in the JK's using the STARScan tool.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Surprise! If you shine a bright light into somebody's eyes, they're more likely to see you! I hate DRLs and am glad that my JK doesn't have them. What I hate worse are those folks who run around with their real headlights on because their vehicle has auto headlight off. I wonder if they consider the safety disadvantages of shining a bright light into someone else's eyes, and how the resultant reduced visibility of oncoming drivers/drivers whom they're following could increase accident potential, especially in crowded areas? Obviously, the safety advocates haven't.
The light isn't bright.

I think its reasonable to say that something shiny is more visible then something not shiny.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think in winter areas where even mid day only offers flat dull light, that they are a definite plus. Notice all the countries that have mandated them are northern, wintry, countries.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:11 AM
JK Newbie

After 20 years of driving in Finland (mandatory day-time lights) I've NEVER EVER had any problems with shining bright lights of oncoming drivers.... If the lights are aligned properly, they do NOT shine into your eyes. Guaranteed. And at least half of cars here use their full headlights, still not a problem.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:48 AM
JK Freak

I'M trying to wrap my head around what you are saying here Mark. You appear to be saying that people running their real headlights during the daytime are affecting your vision in such a way that it makes you more likeley to hit someone else behind them?

If that is in fact what you are saying you must have an awful time driving at night when it's really quite dark beyond the limits of your own head lamps. That's when the brightness of other people's headlights has a significant impact on my night vision.

I used to hate daytime lights when I played night time softball. Most people who showed up at the field with them did not know how to override them. Rough on the vision on a poorly lit municiple ball field.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:05 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Todd
Blackjkrubi...did you install DRLs in your JK? GM's kit? I know I want them in mine.

I live in Canada, JK's are equipped with DRL. Ask your dealership, I'm pretty sure they can program it or get the wiring needed. One of my body bought a used veh. in the USA and to get it certified for Canada he had to go to the dealership to get the DRLs and it only cost him approx. $50.

Quick Reply: U.S. model have daylight running lights?