Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Uconnect considered tethering????

Old 07-26-2013, 04:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default tethering

you are not 'tethering'. that would involve the use of an actual computer or tablet.

Tethering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You are not connecting another device to move data. Streaming pandora is NOT tethering.

It's the same as playing pandora on the phone.

they are trying to bully you into a higher $ plan.

it's only based on data quantity, in your case 5GB. which, in their defense, is a lot, however you are not tethering.

I however, do tether w/my non jailbroken phone and don't pay AT&T extra for it.

Tethering for BlackBerry, iPhone & Android | Tether.com
Old 07-26-2013, 04:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They cannot tell you are tethering your phone they can only see the usage and assume you are using it to tether. I would think with all the o line media options that companies would start to figure out people will use then.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
you are not 'tethering'. that would involve the use of an actual computer or tablet.

Tethering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You are not connecting another device to move data. Streaming pandora is NOT tethering.

It's the same as playing pandora on the phone.

they are trying to bully you into a higher $ plan.

it's only based on data quantity, in your case 5GB. which, in their defense, is a lot, however you are not tethering.

I however, do tether w/my non jailbroken phone and don't pay AT&T extra for it.

Tethering for BlackBerry, iPhone & Android | Tether.com
Exactly what I thought......thanks for responses fellas. Im gonna hit up apple and at&t stores tonight to see if they can shed more light on this and to make sure my phone isnt malfunctioning. Chances are the letter was just scaretactics but who knows with these greedy corporations these days. Thanks again!
Old 07-26-2013, 05:14 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DSmith1178
Exactly what I thought......thanks for responses fellas. Im gonna hit up apple and at&t stores tonight to see if they can shed more light on this and to make sure my phone isnt malfunctioning. Chances are the letter was just scaretactics but who knows with these greedy corporations these days. Thanks again!
on your phone, go Settings, General, Cellular

It will show if you are set up as a Personal Hot Spot.

If that is not set up then ATT is full of sh!t.

Check your wife's phone, too.

Good luck

Thought: If you have an apple store nearby, go there and tell them the story, get their opinion.

There is always the slim possibility your phone has some sort of virus or malware on it somehow, I suppose. Maybe ATT picked up something important.

Last edited by Jiblet; 07-26-2013 at 05:17 AM.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Went to at&t and apple stores. Both places confirmed phone is not and has not been tethering. The at&t store also said that streaming pandora and personal music over the uconnect is not tethering meaning the uconnect system is not using the iphone as a wireless modem. It only is mirroring and amplifing whats on my phone. Apple has never seen this before and neither has at&t. At&t is forwarding this to their district tech supervisor for further invest. So to tie this into Jeep talk, it doesnt appear to be the uconnect thats my problem. Will keep everyone posted as I learn more.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

First of all, I would ask them to see proof that you are tethering. If you are tethering to a computer, hotspot shield will keep them from knowing. It sounds like they are upset about your data usage, and looking for a reason to make you pay for it. I would ditch then and go with a Sprint unlimited plan. No data throttling..
Old 07-27-2013, 02:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When you use UCOnnect it is not tethering. It is Blue Tooth.

Concerning unlimited data plans and tethering. I guess there is a federal law that was recently put into effect regarding tethering and charging for such a service. If you have an unlimited data plan, service providers like at&t and sprint can charge you a fee for tethering. I think sprint charges like $30 or so for the ability to do so. However, if you have a tiered plan, like 2G or 4G a month for example, the service provider cannot charge you for tethering. So I guess as long as you have an unlimited plan, you're not gonna get to tether without paying a hefty price for it.

EDIT: Note - I hate AT&T and paid big bucks to get out of my contract and it was well worth it. Horribly spotty service and even worse customer service. Track how much you use and get a data plan that fits. I went with Verizon. It is a little bit more each month but very happy and being able to tether is awesome.

Last edited by Warpath; 07-28-2013 at 01:18 AM.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to add one point of clarity, Bluetooth can support tethering, but this is very uncommon. Bluetooth is a "wire replacement" standard meant to get rid of all those short wires like for a microphone, earphone, headset, mouse, keyboard, etc.. If you create a modem data connection via Bluetooth for a tablet/laptop, that would be tethering. Getting a laptop or tablet to tether via Bluetooth (or USB for that matter) was always a bit tricky for me so I strongly doubt you ever did this by accident. Wifi hotspot is so much easier.

UConnect is definitely not a tethered connection, just an "audio wire replacement" kind of Bluetooth. Maybe you just stream a lot of content including video. I think they are just bluffing due to your high usage.

I would ask them to tell me what I tethered and how, since they say their software detected it.

I had the unlimited data plan myself but gave it up when I got my iPhone just because they disallowed the tethering, which I needed. Turns out that my data plan has been sufficient for the last 2 years and I haven't needed unlimited data.

Good luck.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by texascodmw3

I would ask them to tell me what I tethered and how, since they say their software detected it.
Thats the best part.....they told me "we cant tell you, thats propriartary information". Are you kidding me? You tell me im tethering and you know what im tethering but you will not tell me so I could look into it and possibly fix the issue. What a joke of a corporation. For those who have suggested I drop them, trust me I would if I could but im locked into a contract and I do like that I have unlimited data. The other nice thing with at&t is that you can upgrade your phone every two years, and they dont kill your unlimited data like verizon does. You just get threatening and accusatory letters lol!!
Old 07-27-2013, 10:11 AM
JK Newbie

If they change your plan on you, it would be considered a "material change" and you could legally get out of your contract without having to pay the ETF's. You could then hop over to Sprint (if they have LTE in your area.. I agree that their 3G sucks big time) or T-mobile (now that they have no 2-year contracts).

Quick Reply: Uconnect considered tethering????