Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

unlead or super ?

Old 02-26-2009, 04:22 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by 999666
Yes, cause of this with older vehicles is that the seals and often the gas lines themselves were drying out , disolving and cracking due to the ethenol content.
Newer cars supposibly use ethenol resistent seals now.

Not a fan of the 10% blend some stations have here in Canada either.
With less energy then gasoline per volume, to me it's like watering down the fuel and charging the same as pure gasoline as you already mentioned.
One + for ethenol though, mixed in it does lower emmisions.
How about if you count the emissions required to make it?
Old 02-27-2009, 10:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
How about if you count the emissions required to make it?
Good point, all that rotting corn must make a retarded amount of methane and carbon dioxide.
Then theirs the land pollution it causes with the sheer # of aceres needed to grow the corn to make Ethenol.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PoorDad
Your stock engine is designed for regular. Unless you have made some changes to your engine that call for premium, you are wasting money.
well put.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Also, just to add in here. Those of you like me running at altitude. 87 up here is actually 85. You don't need to bump up to mid-grade. Higher altitude doesn't require the 87 octane.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:46 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by tambil68
... F all the people that say gas is gas. It's like saying all vodka or wine is the same....
There was a fellow on here a year or two ago who worked at one of those fuel distribution centers in a major city. He said they provided the gas for virtually all of the brands of gasoline around. And he claimed there really, truly is no difference between the various brands--right down to the additives.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:33 AM
JK Freak

Wow if nothing else I learned a lot from this post, here’s my 2cents I have try everything can to get a little more performance and gas mileage running any grade fuel from 87 to the 100+ racing fuel has made little difference in ether, I installed a Jet stage 1 all that seemed to do was take away the hesitation on takeoff in the automatic no other changes that I can see noted, later I installed a Volant CAI The only change with it so far is it makes a lot of noise. Back to fuel I was in Arkansas For a short time filled up with 87 and had a choice of no ethanol I had to try that in FL. There’s no choice the first trip on to the interstate I thought someone had slipped a v8 in the jeep WOW I could light up the rear tires till the skid control kicked in, 3 tanks there gas mileage up 2.0 mpg with me thinking I had a hotrod 2nd tank back in FL. Lost my hotrod and back to 14.4 mpg mostly city. Now this was just my experience. I think ethanol is the trouble at this point. I am enjoying this post I would like to know more on fuel and the effects of ethanol like it the octane rating lower when ethanol is added?
Old 02-28-2009, 04:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by renegadelt1
Wow if nothing else I learned a lot from this post, here’s my 2cents I have try everything can to get a little more performance and gas mileage running any grade fuel from 87 to the 100+ racing fuel has made little difference in ether, I installed a Jet stage 1 all that seemed to do was take away the hesitation on takeoff in the automatic no other changes that I can see noted, later I installed a Volant CAI The only change with it so far is it makes a lot of noise. Back to fuel I was in Arkansas For a short time filled up with 87 and had a choice of no ethanol I had to try that in FL. There’s no choice the first trip on to the interstate I thought someone had slipped a v8 in the jeep WOW I could light up the rear tires till the skid control kicked in, 3 tanks there gas mileage up 2.0 mpg with me thinking I had a hotrod 2nd tank back in FL. Lost my hotrod and back to 14.4 mpg mostly city. Now this was just my experience. I think ethanol is the trouble at this point. I am enjoying this post I would like to know more on fuel and the effects of ethanol like it the octane rating lower when ethanol is added?
The reason it feels like you have more power is because one part pf ethanol has less combustible energy than one part of gasoline. Unless the engine is tuned for a mix of ethanol and gas by feeding it more fuel, you may notice a loss in power from E10. I hate E10 mixed gas. Caused issues with my car that required a new tune when I moved from NC to northern VA.

Last edited by highoctane; 06-06-2009 at 02:42 PM.

Quick Reply: unlead or super ?