Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
View Poll Results: 2-door or 4-door for off road mudding?
w/o a doubt the short-wb of the 2-door is best
55.32%
if lifted the 4-doors weight dist. and long-wb will work best
41.49%
the long-wb of the 4-door will NOT improve its ability to push/pull itself threw mud
3.19%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Unlimited 4-Door Vs 2-Door

Old 03-26-2008, 04:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unlimited 4-Door Vs 2-Door

i've been searching thread after thread and havnt found anything about the pros and cons of the 4-door vs the 2-door. i'm interested in knowing if the additional wheelbase length and extra weight of the 4 door will help or hurt making it threw muddy holes and up steep trails.. hopefully yous can throw some good info out here
Old 03-26-2008, 05:05 AM
JK Newbie

thanks dan, it would be riden mainly on north east trails va to ny and most are pretty tight and wooded but how would the traction be affected? (ie.)would the short wb be able to push/pull itself threw deep mud better
Old 03-26-2008, 05:12 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The long wheel base will be a detriment in breakover angle and turns. However, the Unlimited can also be better in hill climbs because of the wheelbase. I think it helps distribute the weight over a greater area thus reducing the chance of losing traction.

I really believe that all of these are pretty minor differences. So, I would make your decision based on what you want or need. Personally, I wanted the 2-door. I could have used the Unlimited, but for me it had to be a 2-door.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the main difference I have noticed is the breakover angle.. the unlimiteds wheelbase is sooo long that the JK loves getting hung up. Of course thats soemthig a lift can easily fix.. but puts the unlimited at a disadvantage right from the get-go.

I do have an unlimited and would NOT have bought the JK if they didnt make an unlimited
Old 03-26-2008, 05:21 AM
JK Newbie

thanks tony, i've read alot of your posts while searching the threads and they've really helped out. i'd love the extra space and actually do like the looks of the 4-dr but its a hard challange to decide. the weight distributed ect for better traction is what i'm looking to figure out
Old 03-26-2008, 05:28 AM
JK Newbie

glad to have someone with the unlimited put in there 2 cents! so you made the purchase because of the extra cargo room? thats really why i am interested in the 4 door even though they're will probably never be more than 2-3 people riding with me.. i'd hate to not have room if i needed it as it will be my only driver. but if the 2 door was much more capable then i'd be forced to lean that way
Old 03-26-2008, 05:42 AM
JK Super Freak

4 door for me is greatness
Old 03-26-2008, 05:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default 4 door

My four door is more capable than the cj-7 I had but of course that is not a fair comparison because my jk has 20 years worth of technology on its side. I think it is just a matter of opinion. You can make either one a badass offroad machine.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess I'll be the 2DR that steps on the lions den

I think this is one of those situation pending arguments that most of us will never come across.

For example: The longer wheel base can help for rock crawling but it could hurt you at the same time.
Or a very tight area that is a sharp turn a 2DR might make it but a 4DR might not.

All in all. They're Jeeps Lets just wheel
Old 03-26-2008, 06:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

i think most of the difference is in lifestyle...

i have a two door, i am also not married, no kids

Most people who have 4drs have families or are planning on it.

Quick Reply: Unlimited 4-Door Vs 2-Door