JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   Upgraded heavy duty rear sway bar on stock 2012 2 Dr Sahara. Overkill or useful? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/upgraded-heavy-duty-rear-sway-bar-stock-2012-2-dr-sahara-overkill-useful-300661/)

Jizneeper 04-04-2014 08:44 AM

Upgraded heavy duty rear sway bar on stock 2012 2 Dr Sahara. Overkill or useful?

Hello, I am looking to upgrade the rear sway bar on my 2 dr 2012 Sahara. It is stock height. I am looking to improve on road handling and minimize body roll when driving on rough city streets. My streets are pretty rough, it's almost like going off-road everyday. Is this completely overkill and will it impact handling negatively or harm other components or will it be a nice modification to my stock set up? Thanks for you any input. I'm a newb to the jeepin world so just trying to learn all I can through you experts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jeepblackout 04-04-2014 08:52 AM

I think it may be. Have you looked into new wheels and tires. When I put larger ones one it did decrease my mpg but it made rough road travel a whole lot better. I even hit large potholes and no issues. I went with a 305/50/20 on my unlimited a little larger than stock height but much wider.

OH9JK 04-04-2014 09:22 AM

Personally I would look at upgraded springs and shocks first.

jeepblackout 04-04-2014 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by OH9JK (Post 3879345)

This is also a good idea.

ConroeJK 04-04-2014 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by OH9JK (Post 3879345)

^yes this^

I don't see a HD sway bar doing anything for you as far as rough roads are concerned. Some high quality nitro charged shocks would be a big difference over oem shocks however.

Jizneeper 04-05-2014 10:15 AM

I take it that it would impair on road handling rather that improve ok, fair enough. So, what nitrogen shocks would y'all recommend?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ConroeJK 04-05-2014 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Jizneeper (Post 3880274)
I take it that it would impair on road handling rather that improve ok, fair enough. So, what nitrogen shocks would y'all recommend? Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't think it will impair the road handling at all, just don't think it will provide you with what your looking for. You mentioned body roll in the OP but I'm not sure your getting that type of body roll from rough roads. The sway bars mostly control the type of roll you get when making evasive maneuvers or running a slalom course something jeep wranglers are famous for, not.

A little searching on here and you will find a lot of praise for Bilstein and Monroe. I only have experience with Monroe on a truck and they were a great improvement with a great warranty. I have Old Man Emu on my JK and they are a vast improvement over factory shocks, but I think they are made only for 2" or more lifts.

Billbikes 04-05-2014 12:03 PM

I run the RockKrawler 2.0 shocks with their 2.5 lift. Really no body roll, or brake dive at all. I don't even run a rear sway bay anymore.

Jizneeper 04-05-2014 02:18 PM

What about sticking with the rubicon's shocks as an OE replacement? Can get them new for $120, pretty much the same as bilstein's or Monroe's?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kjeeper10 04-05-2014 02:22 PM

Agree, I bet your front plays more of a role as stiff as it is. Rancho is doing their spring promo. Grab some 9000's and call it a day.