Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Upshifting

Old 02-26-2017, 05:16 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by zstairlessone
I never drove the 5-speed so I can't comment on it but I haven't really heard any complaints.
You've not driven one because the 5 speed manual was not an option for the JK. The jeeps have been 6 speed manuals since 05 when they went to the nsg-370 over the nv-1500. I think someone else has their transmissions mixed up. The 5 speed was an auto option for the JK.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tjkamp
Also, this advice is given thinking of a 3.6JK with 4.10 gears, your experience may vary. One easy way to get to know your new manual, is to get used to the clutch, and run through the gears a bit to get a feel for how the gear ratios relate. To get a feel for your clutch, find a good patch of flat ground, either on a back road or an empty parking lot, and practice starting from a dead stop in first without touching the gas pedal. This will let you get a feel for the pedal travel and where the clutch engages and disengages, and how pedal travel effects how much the clutch slips. Next run it through the rpm band in each gear, keeping an eye on the speedo, take note of how the gears relate to each other. Don't redline it out, but climb up the curve a bit in each gear, how much different is the RPM between 2nd and 3rd at 20? What about 3rd and 4th at 30? At 40? Drive around a while shifting at fixed points, you have a six speed, a lot of places have 60 mph speed limits, practice shifting at 10,20,30,40,50. Catch 2nd at 10, 3rd at 20, and so on. While the clutch on the 3.6 JK is clunky and noisy, and numb as all get out, it is pretty tough, it takes quite a bit to actually damage it. Go play with until you can shift it as smoothly as you would like.
So would it be fair to say see what the speedo reads at 30 in 2nd and 3rd and perhaps that difference is a good place to shift? I just might be overthinking that or trying to make it too mathematical.

Also, I'm curious as to upshifting with clutch, release the clutch, and then gas vs release clutch as you gas.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

It's difficult to explain without demonstration. No slipping the clutch (excessive engine rpm with clutch partially engaged), but the clutch pedal is not exactly a 1 to 1 with what the clutch is actually doing, the very top of the travel has very little effect on the compared to the bottom inch or two of travel, but each clutch is different. Practicing taking off in first from a stop on flat ground using only the clutch, no throttle will help you get a feel for your specific clutch. Typically I am easing back into the throttle during the last couple inches of pedal travel.

There is no formula for what mph to shift each gear, but paying attention to the different gears RPMs at the same mph will give you an idea of how close/far apart each gear is.

Manuals just take practice and getting used to.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tjkamp
It's difficult to explain without demonstration. No slipping the clutch (excessive engine rpm with clutch partially engaged), but the clutch pedal is not exactly a 1 to 1 with what the clutch is actually doing, the very top of the travel has very little effect on the compared to the bottom inch or two of travel, but each clutch is different. Practicing taking off in first from a stop on flat ground using only the clutch, no throttle will help you get a feel for your specific clutch. Typically I am easing back into the throttle during the last couple inches of pedal travel. There is no formula for what mph to shift each gear, but paying attention to the different gears RPMs at the same mph will give you an idea of how close/far apart each gear is. Manuals just take practice and getting used to.
So by seeing how close or far apart each gear is helps to understand how much to let the RPMs drop when upshifting (more or less)? And I think I get what your saying. To allow for less clutch slipping, add throttle towards the end of clutch pedal travel when upshifting (given slight differences from vehicle to vehicle).
Old 03-03-2017, 07:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i shift between 2500 and 3000 normally and the clutch on the jeep is not super consistant so even if you have been driving manuals for a while you will still have some times when its a bit jerky.
Old 03-04-2017, 04:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blackie27
So by seeing how close or far apart each gear is helps to understand how much to let the RPMs drop when upshifting (more or less)? And I think I get what your saying. To allow for less clutch slipping, add throttle towards the end of clutch pedal travel when upshifting (given slight differences from vehicle to vehicle).
Don't make a math test out of this, I haven't looked at my tach in years when accelerating to see when to shift. You can hear the engine, feel the change in rate of acceleration and know what the intent is (cruising or trying to blow that obnoxious Prius owner in the next lane off the road). Push in the clutch firmly and quickly, shift gears, release the clutch quickly and controlled and continue accelerating. You will develop personal habits to smooth out your driving fairly quickly and it will become so second nature you won't realize you are shifting.

Quick Reply: Upshifting