Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

vaugness in steering wheel. steering box, joints etc?

Old 11-30-2015, 11:30 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default vaugness in steering wheel. steering box, joints etc?

I have been noticing a vagueness in my steering wheel lately, like you can move it a bit and there is no reaction to the wheels, Is this the steering box wearing out? or is it the drag link tie rod combo wearing? all these parts have 180,000 on them. I want to get my jeep back to new feeling. But I am getting a bit of wander on the road now. More than normal.
Old 11-30-2015, 01:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

To start, get a jack and a friend, and check everything out. There are any number of worn steering or suspension components that can cause this. Start with the jeep on level ground, climb under the front end, and have a friend turn the wheel slowly back and forth, check for loose ends, tie rod ends, drag link ends, and track bar ends. Even if you do find play there, also recommended to check the wheel bearings and ball joints. Jack up one front wheel of the jeep at a time, grab the front and back of the tire and see if there is any play (like you can wiggle the wheel as if it is turning without moving any of the steering components) if there is, you need new wheel bearings. Next put a pipe or pry-bar under the tire, and pry up on it while watching the ball joints, if there is up and down movement in the joints, then you need new ball joints.

As the miles add up, all of these parts ware, it could be uniform minor ware accord all of the parts causing the play, of it might be one single end or bearing or ball joint that has given up the ghost, and that is all that really needs to be replaced. Can't really tell until you check it out to see.

Hope this helps,

Happy Jeepjng!

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 11-30-2015, 02:39 PM
JK Junkie

I am planning on installing new control arm bushings in all 8, new teraflex ball joints, tie rod and drag link, two new track bars anyways. So that will pretty well take care of everything. wheel bearings would be the only thing and I am going with the full teraflex meal deal for brakes as well. Its time for a super refresh of the tired jeep.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Sounds like a plan to me!

Old 12-01-2015, 12:32 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by tjkamp
Sounds like a plan to me!

I am keeping the jeep for as long as I can, so in the grand scheme of things, 3800 bucks for all the gear I am ordering is not a bad price. It will run like a new Jeep again then. Pretty well everything new. I may hold off on the ball joints as I have dana spicer/Napa gold units in there now that are super stout. But everything else going in is Teraflex.

Quick Reply: vaugness in steering wheel. steering box, joints etc?