Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Water in auto trans?

Old 10-02-2010, 09:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water in auto trans?

Last weekend I went on a run with some of the Great Lakes guys here on the forum in upper MI and lets just say the ruts were deep and so was the water. This isnt me but this gives you an idea on the water
http://www.flickr.com/photos/widowmaker10/5034297540/I decided this weekend is a good weekend to extend breathers and check for water in fluids. I just drained my rear diff and yup it was a bit frothy. So, I'm going to do the front also and I assume if I pull the fill plug on the Transfer case I will be able to tell if there is water. This brings me to my question...the auto trans. I only have 4500 miles on my JK so I really don't want to do my trans if I don't have to. I checked the dipstick and it looks ok. I was told by a mechanic buddy of mine if there was water in there it would be foamy on the dipstick. Is this true? Am I safe not changing it if its not foamy? Should I just change it and quit being a cheap a$%?

Quick Reply: Water in auto trans?