Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Water leaking from muffler

Old 04-03-2011, 12:34 PM
Mik
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water leaking from muffler

This is bizarre, I have a 2011 Rubicon 2 door and every time I pull out of my garage in the morning there are two little puddles of water that line up with the inside rear of the vehicle. I started my engine up today and watched as it was parked in the garage and water started dripping from the bottom left and bottom right seam of the muffler. I would expect condensation to come out of my tail pipe but not my muffler. Over time I would expect this to rust out the muffler. Anybody else notice this?

Mik
Old 04-03-2011, 12:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is normal. The water vapor in the exhaust condenses back into liquid water when it hits the cold muffler, then is is pushed out/drains out. Once the exhaust comes up to temp, it will stop.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:02 PM
JK Newbie

SiliconTi is correct and if you look closely most newer mufflers have condensation holes near the end of them just for this purpose.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:33 PM
JK Newbie

They speak the truth. Condensation drain holes in the muffler actually prevent the muffler from rusting out. They let the water drain out as opposed to sitting in the muffler. 99% of factory mufflers have a stainless steel housing or corrosion preventitive compound coating. Nothing to worry about at all.

Quick Reply: Water leaking from muffler