Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Weird Burning Smell From Vents? AC/Heat working fine fine.

Old 01-02-2022, 12:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Burning Smell From Vents? AC/Heat working fine fine.

Weird electrical/metal burning smell coming from all vents. 2012 3.6L v6 Jeep 150K miles. AC and Heat works perfect at all levels blowing. No strange sounds. Just a bad electrical type burning smell that is constant . I thought maybe I should try to replace the blower fan motor, but it seems to work fine? No leaking from underneath either... Anyone else have similar issue? Thanks in advance!!
Old 01-02-2022, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 359 Likes on 335 Posts

Welcome to JKF.. A few questions: Constant as 100% of time you are operating your rig? With HVAC in OFF position? Any guesstimate on when or how long this has existed?
Old 01-02-2022, 02:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Heya JeepinSC -

Is the Jeep new to you ?

Any codes ?

Have you done any wiring anywhere on the jeep recently - or even just before the present season?

Of course the odor could be coming from any number of places and the fan just picking it up and sending into the cab.

First thing I would do is check the fuses - and make sure they are all appropriate for their position, then I would have a poke around under the dash for burnt and/or crunchy wires or connections.

Neville
Old 01-02-2022, 02:36 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks Jay. Constant as in only when it is "on". I don't smell anything when "off", or top off the jeep I would guestimate this has been going on for about 2-3 months.
Old 01-02-2022, 02:39 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks Neville. I've had the jeep for almost a year now, bought it at around 140K. I have not done any wiring. I'll check the wiring. Not getting any codes. Great recommendation, I'll check. thanks!!!!
Old 01-12-2022, 09:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You sure it's not burnt oil smell? Mine was dripping tiny bit on pass manifold and it gets sucked in the vents at idle occasionally. I think egr valve replacement solves it
Old 01-13-2022, 08:02 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks Thenomad! I'll check that too. I actually replaced the blower motor to see if that might be it, it wasn't... Checked wires, no sign of burn... I'll check this next. so weird...
Old 01-13-2022, 10:00 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get in there and look for evidence of burt oil on the exhaust mani, top and bottom. Valve cover drip. There are cam sensors going into the cover with grommets too. I had no drips on the ground
The following users liked this post:
JeepinSC (01-14-2022)
Old 02-08-2022, 07:11 PM
JK Newbie

Default Possible find

I may have found it. Removed engine cover and noticed some burning or wear to the inside insulation. Seems like a potential fire hazard. The insulation was hanging and touching the alternator, maybe heated up and cause smoke?? I removed cover and so far no more smell. Hope this hold up(no smell)

and maybe it will help someone else.

Last edited by JeepinSC; 02-09-2022 at 03:16 AM.
Old 10-25-2022, 11:54 AM
JK Newbie

Update. Smell came back. Engine locked up and died. Pentistar v6, go figure. Ugh.... New engine now. Same smell. Replaced blower and resister. Still bad smell. Now fan just stopped working. To say this is a project jeep is an understatement.

Quick Reply: Weird Burning Smell From Vents? AC/Heat working fine fine.