Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Weird electrical events and the TIPM

Old 10-14-2015, 01:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird electrical events and the TIPM

Months ago the wipers turned on when the key was on. Wiper control was totally dead. At the same time the windows would not go down. After a couple of days I cleared the computer by removing the battery ground and the bugs went away. Then the right front parking light stopped working and the blinker started using the parking light filament in the bulb. This caused the computer to sometimes think the bulb was out and go into fast blink.

I checked the bulb, socket, wires and grounds- all ok. Brought it to Tate Dodge and they did the same and said it was the TIPM. On national backorder but one eventually came in which was programmed and installed. This did NOT fix the problem. With a little more work the ground under the TIPM was removed and cleaned and the blinker now used the correct filament and the parking light worked. Of course the programming I had done- like don't turn the lights on or beep the horn when unlocking/locking was lost.

If anyone has strange electrical happenings, you might want to try cleaning the TIPM ground. That is a lot less costly that a new TIPM.

119,000 mi
Old 10-14-2015, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Patchules
Months ago the wipers turned on when the key was on. Wiper control was totally dead. At the same time the windows would not go down. After a couple of days I cleared the computer by removing the battery ground and the bugs went away. Then the right front parking light stopped working and the blinker started using the parking light filament in the bulb. This caused the computer to sometimes think the bulb was out and go into fast blink.

I checked the bulb, socket, wires and grounds- all ok. Brought it to Tate Dodge and they did the same and said it was the TIPM. On national backorder but one eventually came in which was programmed and installed. This did NOT fix the problem. With a little more work the ground under the TIPM was removed and cleaned and the blinker now used the correct filament and the parking light worked. Of course the programming I had done- like don't turn the lights on or beep the horn when unlocking/locking was lost.

If anyone has strange electrical happenings, you might want to try cleaning the TIPM ground. That is a lot less costly that a new TIPM.

119,000 mi
Yup, I was having strange problems a few months ago. Got a suggestion to clean the ground and that cleared it up.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jedg
Yup, I was having strange problems a few months ago. Got a suggestion to clean the ground and that cleared it up.
I'm having a similar issue... Which ground did you clean? (location) My battery grounds are good and clean and will go poking around underhood tonight to see if I can't find grounds around the TIPM that might be causing my odd problems....
Old 11-02-2015, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by bwiencek
I'm having a similar issue... Which ground did you clean? (location) My battery grounds are good and clean and will go poking around underhood tonight to see if I can't find grounds around the TIPM that might be causing my odd problems....
It was just the grounds at the battery. Mine didn't look like they had issues, but I cleaned them and the post anyway.

Quick Reply: Weird electrical events and the TIPM