Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

What happened to my Jeep!

Old 05-04-2012, 11:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What happened to my Jeep!

Hey guys, I took my sport to a sandy hill after work today and it just couldn't make it up without getting stuck, I tried 4 lo and 4 high but no cigar. On my last run up i got a little bit more speed (nothing too crazy) before the slope, and ended up spinning in the sand then heard a "clunk" noise and started to roll back down. I was in 4 wheel drive so when I put it in park it made a clunking noise, threw it into drive after backing down the hill only to have it not go anywhere. I thought I popped my front diff so I put it in rear wheel drive and barely made it out. Less than 1000 miles on my baby. Well I went to a dirt lot and tested my 4 hi and 4 lo, low and behold it all seemed to work well, no clunking or anything abnormal. Have any of you guys had this happen? I'm planning to take it this weekend offroading just outside of town to test it out more, but I'm pretty baffled. I didn't think a sport would have so much trouble in sand, especially with rubicon wheels. The incline was a little steep though.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:43 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hard do say what the clunk noise was but as far as your technique...what was your tire air pressure? In sand you need a lot of surface and a good amount of momentum to carry your weight over. Dropping your tires to 15 lbs will make a huge difference in sand.

If you are powering over the hill you should stay in 4H. 4L over 25 mph is a bad idea.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:48 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 2012sporticon
Hey guys, I took my sport to a sandy hill after work today and it just couldn't make it up without getting stuck, I tried 4 lo and 4 high but no cigar. On my last run up i got a little bit more speed (nothing too crazy) before the slope, and ended up spinning in the sand then heard a "clunk" noise and started to roll back down. I was in 4 wheel drive so when I put it in park it made a clunking noise, threw it into drive after backing down the hill only to have it not go anywhere. I thought I popped my front diff so I put it in rear wheel drive and barely made it out. Less than 1000 miles on my baby. Well I went to a dirt lot and tested my 4 hi and 4 lo, low and behold it all seemed to work well, no clunking or anything abnormal. Have any of you guys had this happen? I'm planning to take it this weekend offroading just outside of town to test it out more, but I'm pretty baffled. I didn't think a sport would have so much trouble in sand, especially with rubicon wheels. The incline was a little steep though.
Did it pop out of gear from the Transfer case? My 2010 once did that, it was the cable from the shifter that got disconnected...2 minute repair at the dealer(warranty) Caused me to loose 4hi 4low and the shifter had no effect nor any tension
Old 05-05-2012, 09:01 AM
JK Newbie

Default alright

Originally Posted by keithvegas
Hard do say what the clunk noise was but as far as your technique...what was your tire air pressure? In sand you need a lot of surface and a good amount of momentum to carry your weight over. Dropping your tires to 15 lbs will make a huge difference in sand.

If you are powering over the hill you should stay in 4H. 4L over 25 mph is a bad idea.
My air pressure was 35, now I see why letting some air out in the sand is a big deal. Yeah I bumped it up to 10 in 4 lo, trying to get a little more momentum.

Last edited by 2012sporticon; 05-07-2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:20 AM
JK Freak

My air pressure was 35, now I see why letting some air out in the sand is a big deal. Yeah I bumped it up to 10 in 4 lo, trying to get a little more momenteum.
Another thing to consider is your tires. They are more narrow than say guys that are running 12.50 width or even higher tires. Yours tend to dig into the sand versus gliding over the top. You will find yourself having the same issue with snow. Air down, slow down, and don't spin. Once you spin, you sink. If you start spinning, stop, try backing up a bit to get yourself out. Sounds like some fun though, and you start learning what your rig can and can't do.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My air pressure was 35, now I see why letting some air out in the sand is a big deal. Yeah I bumped it up to 10 in 4 lo, trying to get a little more momenteum.
Should be 16-18 Psi in sand. Did you roll for a bit after selecting 4wd? BIG mistake people do is STOP ... put it in 4wd and hammer down. This lets the rear tires spin before the transfer case engages the front section of the transfer case. This is usually displayed in a spectacular BANG of engagement and being in sand ... the ill effects albeit reduced can be ugly.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I take it to 10 psi.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yup happened to me also. But I didn't hear the clunk. Pretty scary drop off. Had to air down and get winched out. Haha
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1286850457.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	313779  
Old 05-06-2012, 07:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jgmz82 OIIIIIO
Yup happened to me also. But I didn't hear the clunk. Pretty scary drop off. Had to air down and get winched out. Haha
Just wondering.... Did you see the drop before you stopped?
Old 05-06-2012, 08:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hijynxxxx

Just wondering.... Did you see the drop before you stopped?
Yea I did. I just underestimated the angle of the dropoff. And by the time I realized it, I had already over committed. The front tires were hanging in the air.

Quick Reply: What happened to my Jeep!