JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   What oil do you use ? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/what-oil-do-you-use-280919/)

markbento 07-19-2013 10:12 AM

What oil do you use ?

Ok after reading the oil post I still did not really find an answer. So hear goes I have a 2012 Jeep Wrangler with the pentastar 3.6 in it. frist oil change was done at 3300 miles by the dealer it is now at 6600 miles and will be a year old next week. Purchased new July 2012 I want to start to use synthic oil and not the real dino oil.

In my other cars acura TL and two Honda Civics wife and kids cars I use amsol oil. but the jeep right know has dino oil in it from dealer. I would like to hear from you that have had your jeeps longer than I as to which oil you find better for your jeeps. I know this will be of personal pref but its a base line for my to see which one you all like best.

This will be the second oil change that the jeep gets.

Thanks
Respectfully
Mark

rob_engineer 07-19-2013 10:33 AM

To keep the warranty, you must keep your receipts and a record of your oil change if you are doing it yourself. Also, Chrysler specifies that the oil must be certified to their spec MS 6395. Contrary to popular belief, Mobil 1 in 5w30 does not carry this certification in the US. I use penzoil ultimate synthetic. Once i used valvoline when the penzoil was not in stock. I have 32,000 completely trouble free miles on my 2012 JKU. I change my oil every 5000 miles. With an engine that is not worn out, I have never been able to tell that a vehicle runs better with one oil over another. Having said that, I am confident in my choice to use the penzoil ultimate.

markbento 07-19-2013 10:38 AM

Thanks Rob thats the type of feed back I was looking for , I hope others will give me there insight so I can make my choice on what to oil to use

Mark

rob_engineer 07-19-2013 11:01 AM

I have changed oil in so many different vehicles I can't even count them, from brand new ones to ones with 200,000 miles. Tractors, dirt bikes, atv's, sports cars, trucks, jeeps, pressure washers, generators, etc. With only one exception, I can honestly say that I have never changed the oil and said to myself wow, that runs different now than it did before. The one exception was a 1980's CJ-7 with worn main bearings. If I ran the recommended oil I got zero oil pressure. I ran straight 50 weight plus one quart of motor honey to maintain about 10 psi of pressure when hot. As an engineer, I have researched oils and tend to prefer synthetic as they seem to stay cleaner and hold up better with temperature extremes.

snakeyes76 07-19-2013 11:04 AM

I use Pennzoil 5w30 as well. But you can't go wrong with royal purple or amsoil.

shabbernigdo 07-19-2013 12:55 PM

I use mobil1 full synth. I understand that it currently does not have the chrysler cert but that is only because chrysler decided to change the peramiters. If penzoil can get the green light mobil 1 should have no issues passing what ever tests they throw at it.

rob_engineer 07-19-2013 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by shabbernigdo (Post 3622541)
I use mobil1 full synth. I understand that it currently does not have the chrysler cert but that is only because chrysler decided to change the peramiters. If penzoil can get the green light mobil 1 should have no issues passing what ever tests they throw at it.

I agree with your statement but I have the lifetime warranty and don't want to give even a sliver of wiggle room for Chrysler to deny a future claim. That's why I stick to oils with the cert on the label.

snakeyes76 07-19-2013 01:38 PM

I recall researching oils a couple years back and seeing amsoil rated #1, far above the competition. The closest one in 2nd was Pennzoil and Mobil 1 was somewhere down the line. 5th if memory serves me correctly. It, along with castrol are overrated oils and I will never use them in any of my 3 vehicles. Royal purple was not part of that test, had it been included, would have probably come in 1st or 2nd. I am referring to full synthetic and not conventional oils btw.

shabbernigdo 07-19-2013 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by snakeyes76 (Post 3622583)
I recall researching oils a couple years back and seeing amsoil rated #1, far above the competition. The closest one in 2nd was Pennzoil and Mobil 1 was somewhere down the line. 5th if memory serves me correctly. It, along with castrol are overrated oils and I will never use them in any of my 3 vehicles. Royal purple was not part of that test, had it been included, would have probably come in 1st or 2nd. I am referring to full synthetic and not conventional oils btw.

What specs of the oil were they testing? I highly doubt that they were testing over all performance. Specially with those standings.

FDHog 07-20-2013 06:01 AM

Amsoil 5w20, and when I don't have any left, Mobil 1 5w20.
Normally run Amsoil in Jeep, F150, and Harley. No problems.