Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

What oil do you use ?

Old 07-19-2013, 10:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What oil do you use ?

Ok after reading the oil post I still did not really find an answer. So hear goes I have a 2012 Jeep Wrangler with the pentastar 3.6 in it. frist oil change was done at 3300 miles by the dealer it is now at 6600 miles and will be a year old next week. Purchased new July 2012 I want to start to use synthic oil and not the real dino oil.

In my other cars acura TL and two Honda Civics wife and kids cars I use amsol oil. but the jeep right know has dino oil in it from dealer. I would like to hear from you that have had your jeeps longer than I as to which oil you find better for your jeeps. I know this will be of personal pref but its a base line for my to see which one you all like best.

This will be the second oil change that the jeep gets.

Thanks
Respectfully
Mark
Old 07-19-2013, 10:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

To keep the warranty, you must keep your receipts and a record of your oil change if you are doing it yourself. Also, Chrysler specifies that the oil must be certified to their spec MS 6395. Contrary to popular belief, Mobil 1 in 5w30 does not carry this certification in the US. I use penzoil ultimate synthetic. Once i used valvoline when the penzoil was not in stock. I have 32,000 completely trouble free miles on my 2012 JKU. I change my oil every 5000 miles. With an engine that is not worn out, I have never been able to tell that a vehicle runs better with one oil over another. Having said that, I am confident in my choice to use the penzoil ultimate.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Rob thats the type of feed back I was looking for , I hope others will give me there insight so I can make my choice on what to oil to use

Mark
Old 07-19-2013, 11:01 AM
JK Junkie

I have changed oil in so many different vehicles I can't even count them, from brand new ones to ones with 200,000 miles. Tractors, dirt bikes, atv's, sports cars, trucks, jeeps, pressure washers, generators, etc. With only one exception, I can honestly say that I have never changed the oil and said to myself wow, that runs different now than it did before. The one exception was a 1980's CJ-7 with worn main bearings. If I ran the recommended oil I got zero oil pressure. I ran straight 50 weight plus one quart of motor honey to maintain about 10 psi of pressure when hot. As an engineer, I have researched oils and tend to prefer synthetic as they seem to stay cleaner and hold up better with temperature extremes.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Pennzoil 5w30 as well. But you can't go wrong with royal purple or amsoil.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use mobil1 full synth. I understand that it currently does not have the chrysler cert but that is only because chrysler decided to change the peramiters. If penzoil can get the green light mobil 1 should have no issues passing what ever tests they throw at it.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:02 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by shabbernigdo
I use mobil1 full synth. I understand that it currently does not have the chrysler cert but that is only because chrysler decided to change the peramiters. If penzoil can get the green light mobil 1 should have no issues passing what ever tests they throw at it.
I agree with your statement but I have the lifetime warranty and don't want to give even a sliver of wiggle room for Chrysler to deny a future claim. That's why I stick to oils with the cert on the label.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recall researching oils a couple years back and seeing amsoil rated #1, far above the competition. The closest one in 2nd was Pennzoil and Mobil 1 was somewhere down the line. 5th if memory serves me correctly. It, along with castrol are overrated oils and I will never use them in any of my 3 vehicles. Royal purple was not part of that test, had it been included, would have probably come in 1st or 2nd. I am referring to full synthetic and not conventional oils btw.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by snakeyes76
I recall researching oils a couple years back and seeing amsoil rated #1, far above the competition. The closest one in 2nd was Pennzoil and Mobil 1 was somewhere down the line. 5th if memory serves me correctly. It, along with castrol are overrated oils and I will never use them in any of my 3 vehicles. Royal purple was not part of that test, had it been included, would have probably come in 1st or 2nd. I am referring to full synthetic and not conventional oils btw.
What specs of the oil were they testing? I highly doubt that they were testing over all performance. Specially with those standings.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:01 AM
JK Freak

Amsoil 5w20, and when I don't have any left, Mobil 1 5w20.
Normally run Amsoil in Jeep, F150, and Harley. No problems.

Quick Reply: What oil do you use ?