Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What Oil/Filter is everyone using?

Old 03-02-2011, 05:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Oil/Filter is everyone using?

Just bought my first Jeep..got an 11' 4dr Sport JK. I'm coming up on my first scheduled oil change. I was just curious what everyone's Oil Change regiment is for their JK's: conventional vs. synthetic [during break in and long term], frequency, oil brand, and oil weight.

This is my first non-car, domestic, and 4wd vehicle. Any nuances about the JK I should know?

(My apologies if this is a repeat thread, I could not find anything doing a search)

Thanks in Advance!
Old 03-02-2011, 05:34 AM
JK Junkie

There are lots of thread debating this, but no big deal

The one thing about this vehicle, different from any other vehicle I've ever owned, is that the Jeep is particular about the brand of oil filter I use.

On my wife's car, and every other vehicle I've ever owned I've always used the basic Fram filters. I've never had ANY problems with them. On the Jeep, however, those caused a startup knock for a second or two... Apparently they lack a flow-back valve (or something like that).

I would recommend, regardless of what brand of oil, invest in a GOOD oil filter. I buy the Mobil 1 filters, and have had zero problems with them.

Best of luck, and welcome to the forum
Old 03-02-2011, 05:36 AM
JK Super Freak

What's wrong with stock oil filter?!?
Old 03-02-2011, 05:37 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by snopro269
What's wrong with stock oil filter?!?
Nothings wrong with them... I hear the Mopar ones are good too

I was just saying, avoid some of the cheaper brands, like Fram in my experience.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:43 AM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fram Tough Guard and Mobil 1 both leave mine ticking at start up so I'm going to try Wix next and stick with it but I don't think the filter is my problem.

Schedule: change every 5-6k with whatever bottle looks cool or ad campaign has sucked me in at the moment. It's definitely not a big deal. My new plan is regular old valvoline. Worked well in my YJ so why not. Oh, and I use 5w30 because I think the change to 20 is dumb.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:44 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jwhitehorn
Best of luck, and welcome to the forum
Thank you!
I did find tons of threads and debates about oil filters. But did not find to much info about using synthetic vs conventional, especially during break-in periods.

In previous cars I've owned, I've always used conventional oil for the break-in, synthetic for the remaining life of the car. Another rule-of-them I've always followed is: "once you go synthetic, don't go back to conventional". Does this hold true for Jeeps?
Old 03-02-2011, 05:52 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by awesomo
Thank you!
I did find tons of threads and debates about oil filters. But did not find to much info about using synthetic vs conventional, especially during break-in periods.

In previous cars I've owned, I've always used conventional oil for the break-in, synthetic for the remaining life of the car. Another rule-of-them I've always followed is: "once you go synthetic, don't go back to conventional". Does this hold true for Jeeps?
There are lots of those threads too

Full of opinion, and you know what they say about opinions.

Well, since we are on the topic of opinions...

I ran Pennzoil conventional 5W-20 and Fram filters from oil change one to 36,000 miles. Something just shy of that 36,000 mile mark I started noticing that start-up tick I mentioned. So, on the next oil change I went to Mobil 1 synthetic 5W-20 and Mobil 1 filter, and haven't looked back.

The only time I've had even a bit of start-up tick with Mobil 1 oil and filter was during our most recent blizzard, and the temps were down to -28 in some spots.

As far a break in period... I did nothing special. I drove it up as close to 6,000 miles as possible and just changed the oil as normal
Old 03-02-2011, 07:48 AM
JK Super Freak

I have never heard any ticking from my stock oil filter or oil. I hear people hearing noises from aftermarket this oil and aftermarket that oil filter. If the engine is manufactured and tested with oem oil and filter for maximum life durability why chance oils and filters, cheaper is not always better!!
Old 03-02-2011, 07:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

I use one size up on the oil filter, its longer than the short stock one, It cost like $6 its the Fram Tough Guard TG3600 I think is the Number, The medium one is what i normally use its the PH3600, they both have the anti drain back valve in them. Haven't had any knock since i started using them thanks to this forum.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wix filter & NAPA synthetic 5/20 here. Changed every six months or whenever oil indicator comes on.

Quick Reply: What Oil/Filter is everyone using?